Focal Point
[CLOSED] Effort for upgrading Webfocus from 8105 to 8201

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7467021886

October 24, 2017, 05:37 AM
Soeren Ohm
[CLOSED] Effort for upgrading Webfocus from 8105 to 8201
Hi Folks!

I think about upgrading our Webfocus environment from 8105 to 8201 and wanted to ask you what your experiences are regarding the effort of doing it. I read that 8.2 requires your content to be upgraded aswell due to a change in the repository structure.

Did that work well for your system or do you had anything to fix or change in order to keep the existing contents running? Unfortunately we still have some old dashboards (from Version 7) active which can't be shut down soon. Do they still work?

We are currently replacing the old dashboards with new portals but haven't finished it yet. If the upgrade to 8.2 will go nice and smooth I can imagine doing it in between our replacings. Otherwise it would be better to first shut down all dashboards and then upgrade only portal content.

Any information or experiences on that are appreciated!

Thanks a lot
Sören

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
October 24, 2017, 09:09 AM
Doug
From my understanding, the effort of upgrading WebFOCUS from 8105 to 8201 is minimal.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206
October 27, 2017, 01:35 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Hi Soren

I don't think there is a definitive answer to this. The software upgrades themselves are very simple and well documented, it is the testing of your applications that takes the time to insure that all is still functioning. With every release there is code tightening that may cause your applicaitons to have issues.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
November 01, 2017, 03:48 AM
Soeren Ohm
Hey Chuck,
thanks for your response. Indeed the testing makes it expensive. I thought maybe someone had an issue like "all of our procedures which contain needed to be altered after the update".

Regards,
Sören

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs