Focal Point
[Solve] How to sort the values in the drop down box which is populated from the DB

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/74910332

February 27, 2009, 04:42 PM
Learner
[Solve] How to sort the values in the drop down box which is populated from the DB
Hi everyone, I am using HTML layout painter in developer studio to a build web page. In the web page, i have a drop down box that shows the available dates. The format of the date is yyyy-mm, eg. 2009-01. The drop down list is populated directly from the database. But the problem is no matter how I arrange the date in the database, the dates are always sorted and populated from the earliest to the latest. Is there a way to resort the order of the dates from the lastest to the earliest? Thanks in advance for the input.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Learner,

WebFOCUS 7.1.6 on Win 2K/IIS 6/ISAPI HTML
February 27, 2009, 05:02 PM
GinnyJakes
Hi, Learner.

The best method to do this is to use a procedure to populate the dropdown box. The output of the procedure should be your values sorted by your display values in XML format. Then in the painter you reference the procedure instead of the master as the source for your control.

There a lots of posts in the forum on this topic. Start with 'sort drop down' for key words and see where that leads.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
February 27, 2009, 05:27 PM
Learner
Hi Ginny,

Thank you very much for your input. I think I have an idea how to do that. Let me try it.

Learner.

WebFOCUS 7.1.6 on Win 2K/IIS 6/ISAPI HTML