Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Focus READ function
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,

I have recently come across the -READ command, however I have found very little documentation.

I have an example of the statement, but for some reason it only worked once in the procedure and when I tried changing the command it failed..:

Successful:

-READ BRANCH &FILL1.A7. &BRANCH_NAME.A50

Failed:

-READ USDNETPNL_PROFIT &FILL1.A7. &PL_GAIN.A50

Can someone explain to me or point out documentation on how this command works?

Gold member
posted Hide Post
From the WF 7.0 documentation.

(Filename is usally 8 positons or less.)

The documentation states:

-READ filename[,] [NOCLOSE] &name[.format.][,][&name][.format.]where:

filename[,]

Is the name of the external file, which must be defined to the operating system. A space after filename denotes a fixed-format file, while a comma denotes a free-format file.

On UNIX and Windows platforms, a FILEDEF for the external file is required.

On OS/390, the external file must be allocated in the JCL or dynamically allocated by WebFOCUS with the ALLOCATE command.

NOCLOSE

Keeps the external file open until the -READ operation is complete. Files kept open with NOCLOSE can be closed using the command -CLOSE filename or a subsequent -WRITE command. The option NOCLOSE is available only in OS/390.

&name[,]

Is the variable name. For free-format files, you may separate the variable names with commas. If the list of variables is longer than one line, end the first line with a comma and begin the next line with a dash followed by a blank. Use a dash and a comma for comma-delimited files.

Free-format

-READ EXTFILE, &CITY, &CODE1,- &CODE2Fixed-format

-READ EXTFILE &CITY.A8. &CODE1.A3.,-, &CODE2.A3..format.

Is the format of the variable. For a free-format file, you do not have to specify this value, but you may. For a fixed-format file, format is the length or the length and type of the variable (A is the default type). The value of format must be delimited by periods. The format is ignored for comma-delimited files.

Note: Instead of using .format., you can specify the length of a variable using -SET and enclosing the corresponding number of blanks in single quotes. For example:

-SET &CITY=' ';-SET &CODE1=' '; -SET &CODE2=' ';

WebFOCUS 7.6.11, WINDOWS, HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Posts: 77 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: May 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help