Focal Point
Printer settings for a PDF report

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7511046172

February 14, 2008, 02:46 PM
<Helpme>
Printer settings for a PDF report
We have a PDF report which has Legal Landscape settings in the FEX file. But the report prints on Letter Landscape for few of us and Legal Landscape for others printing on the same printer. Is there a way I can control the print settings in PDF like I do with macros for an excel report?
February 14, 2008, 03:17 PM
Leah
Do you route it to the printer or does the user print it. PDF has a fit to page that might work, but I am unaware of anything elsewhere. Of course no expert here on that issue. I don't even do excel macros.

Leah
February 14, 2008, 03:25 PM
<Helpme>
The user prints it. We just provide a hyperlink to user. The same report on same printer prints with different settings for different ppl. Any help is greatly appreciated.
February 14, 2008, 04:09 PM
Francis Mariani
WebFOCUS cannot set what paper will be used for printing from Adobe Acrobat Reader.

In the Acrobat Reader Print dialogue box, there is a check-box option that should be checked "Choose Paper Source by PDF size". Some users probably have this checked, others do not.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
February 14, 2008, 04:26 PM
<Helpme>
Thanks for the information Francis. This really helps me understand the situtation. But I would like to know if there is any roubdabout way to set the paper size if not by WebFOCUS??
February 14, 2008, 04:50 PM
susannah
teach each user , when opening ADobe, to click NOT onn the ADobe Print Icon, but on the FILE / PRINT SETUP
and the printer dialog box lets the user select printer, landscape/portrait, legal/letter...etc.
If the report is formated letter protrait, then clicking the adobe print icon (in adobe 8) should work fine; Enpower your users by teaching them to control their own print action.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
February 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
<Helpme>
Thanks susannah. But the users want the things done easy way...
February 14, 2008, 07:22 PM
Darin Lee
I think the local Staples Office Supply sells one of those EASY buttons. Smiler

There is no way to control this through WF or in the PDF doc. You can set PAGESIZE=LEGAL and ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT in the stylesheet of the fex. This will give you the real estate for creating your report, but the desktop tool (Adobe Acrobat Reader) completely controls how it it actually printed.

The only other possible way I can think of is by setting up specific queues on the printer (it it has the capability) so that anything sent to that queue would print legal landscape.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
February 15, 2008, 10:10 AM
TexasStingray
This is another one of those things where WebFOCUS can parameterize anything but just remember that the GUI will not alway support what we think of. Check out this link and click on the page setup next to the run button. PS it only works for PDF.

http://www.moonlightware.com/ibi/ibi_apps/WFServlet.php...RBTABLE=CenturySales

Hope this helps

Scott

remind your users what the "P" in "PC" stands for... Smiler
and dhuude..what are you doing on 71? get yerself up to 76..at least in devstu so you can try Active Reports...its got serious potential..

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID