Focal Point
[CLOSED]Trim in Master file

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7567090286

April 29, 2016, 06:05 PM
PrakashDT
[CLOSED]Trim in Master file
Hi,

I have a master file in infoassist. This master file need to read from multiple database. Some DB has column name as char 9 some has as char 17. So I changed the master file with 17. It is individual working fine. But when I join with other 9 size column it is not working. Meaning join is not working. I think I should trim the data so that it works. Because DB2 for i adds space to the left.

My question is ,

is there way we can apply trim in the master file?

or is there any other method we can handle this ?

Please provide me some advice .

Regards,
Prakash

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFocus 8, OS: iSeries
April 29, 2016, 08:55 PM
BabakNYC
If create synonym makes FIELDA have A9 in one master and A17 in another master, that's because the two tables have described FIELDA as A9 and A17. Metadata is created automatically based on the size of the column as it is described in the database table. Trimming the size of the column will not fix the problem. You can certainly change the USAGE= value to shorten an A17 to an A9. You should never change the ACTUAL= value because that's the size of the field as described by the table. You could turn on the SQL Trace to see what happens when you join the two tables based on this trimmed column.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows