Focal Point
[Solved]Empty partition files

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7607097506

June 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
MichaelBalle
[Solved]Empty partition files
I have to split a big file to partitions. The user is able to select empty partitions also.
Is there a posibility to get empty .foc files also? At the moment (with the APP HOLD ) I only get the .mas file for an empty .foc partition.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MichaelBalle,

WebFOCUS 7.6, 7.7
Windows, All Output formats
June 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
Francis Mariani
When I run the following code, .mas and .foc are both created, even though the request returns zero rows:

APP HOLDMETA BASEAPP
APP HOLDDATA BASEAPP
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
BY COUNTRY
WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'N KOREA'
ON TABLE HOLD AS H001 FORMAT FOCUS
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE H001
PRINT *
END
-RUN

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
June 21, 2011, 05:58 PM
Waz
As a FOCUS file is a "database" and has a structure, and details of the loaded data that can be queried, it must exist.

e.g.
? FDT CAR gives statistics on each segment in the file.

The basic way a FOCUS file is created is as follows.

1. A master file must exist.
2. A CREATE FILE command is issued (For a HOLD FORMAT FOCUS, this is done internally)
3. The FOCUS file is loaded, 0-n records (For a HOLD FORMAT FOCUS, this is done internally).

Hope this helps

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

June 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
ERINP
Waz,
Where do you put the "? FDT CAR" to view the stats on each segment of the file?? I can see where that would be a useful piece of code.

Erin

WebFOCUS 7.6.9

Reporting client Windows 2003 Service pack 2 using IIS and TomCat 5.5
Reporting Server OS/400 V5R4M0
Outputs: HTML, Excel, PDF, CSV, and Flat Files
June 22, 2011, 11:19 AM
j.gross
Wherever you can put a TABLE.
June 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
ERINP
j.gross
Thanks for the Info. I will have to play with this to see what I can find. Does IBI have a document that shows ALL of the ? *** items like: ? FDT, ?FF, ? &, etc. Because I seem to pick these up from time to time reading the posts.

Erin

WebFOCUS 7.6.9

Reporting client Windows 2003 Service pack 2 using IIS and TomCat 5.5
Reporting Server OS/400 V5R4M0
Outputs: HTML, Excel, PDF, CSV, and Flat Files