Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Displaying footer with empty report?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Displaying footer with empty report?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Michelle for the update. Interesting that EMPTYREPORT=OFF doesn't work with WHERE TOTAL. Seems like WebFOCUS is applying the EMPTYREPORT test at the wrong time in the process.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Sounds that way. I have submitted a case to IBI, so we'll see.

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
The official IBI answer is:................

********************** COMMENTS FROM INFORMATION BUILDERS **********************

Michelle,
Ok -- I see what you are referring to. That is correct behavior when using
WHERE TOTAL tests and we document it as such:

"If you have created a report that contains a WHERE TOTAL statement and the
test yields zero records, an empty report will display"

Thank You, B.J.

So I asked why.........

********************** COMMENTS FROM INFORMATION BUILDERS **********************

Michelle,
Because the WHERE TOTAL test is applied after record retreival, against
the internal matrix -- the EMPTYREPORT setting goes gainst the actual
record retreival.

That is the current behavior/limitation .

Thank You, B.J.

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
interesting...

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
interesting...

Indeed! Also interesting is the fact (unknown to me at that time) that EMPTYREPORT applies not only when producing "reports" as the setting name lead me to believe but to every TABLE FILE request in general.

See for instance:
SET EMPTYREPORT = ANSI

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR AND MODEL
WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'AUSTRALIA'
ON TABLE HOLD AS HCARS
END
-RUN
-IF &LINES GT 0 THEN GOTO :DO_RPT;
-TYPE No data.  Please check your selection criteria!
-EXIT

-:DO_RPT
-* Continue processing ...
-TYPE More stuff to do ...

I know there are no records for 'AUSTRALIA' in the CAR table so I expected to see the "No data..." message upon running the code above and nothing else, but no! I got "More stuff to do" instead.

When looking closely, I realized that by having EMPTYREPORT=ANSI, WebFOCUS creates a "dummy" record on the fly to satisfy the need of producing a complete report that includes no only HEADING and column titles, but also sub-headings, sub-totals, footings and the like -- well, that's it's intended purpose and is documented!

Little I knew that this behaviour was the same even when creating HOLD files. A closer look at the resulting feedback from WebFOCUS showed:

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 0 LINES = 1

So, I ended up with:
- A "dummy" record with MISSING values in the HOLD file
- &RECORDS=0 (as expected)
- &LINES=1 (unexpected to me then but not anymore!)

This is consistent in both 5.3.4 (yeah, I know) up to 7.7.03!

This may be documented somewhere but I've never seen it. I'm just trying to be more careful now and try to remember to always stick an "ON TABLE SET EMPTYREPORT OFF" in every request that will end up in a HOLD file, just in case EMPTYREPORT may have been changed in "hidden" places like server or user/group profiles.

Just a word of caution to those of us who usually check for &LINES to determine if we have enough results to proceed with extra processing ...

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.