Focal Point
Define based Join?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/7661094481

September 07, 2006, 02:41 PM
N.Selph
Define based Join?
Has anyone done a successful Define based join between 2 Oracle tables in WebFocus 7.13?

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)
September 07, 2006, 05:24 PM
newtofocus
I don't think it is possible in any version to the best of knowledge.My understanding is that the defined fields are handled by FOCUS after the data is retrieved from the DBMS.

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM
September 07, 2006, 05:37 PM
N.Selph
Even if it handles the join afterwards, behind the scenes, it should still perform a correct join between the answer sets.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)
September 07, 2006, 06:04 PM
newtofocus
Yes, the FOCUS engine does the join. What I was trying to say is that it is that 7.1.3 is no different in that respect. I was assuming that you are askin if 7.1.3 passes the join onto the DBMS.

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM
September 07, 2006, 06:37 PM
N.Selph
No, what I am seeing is that the report from the join is coming back wrong (zero records), because no join is actually ever made on the redefined fields, either before or after the results come back from Oracle. This was a report that had worked before in WebFocus version 5.21.

Maybe it's a general problem with define based joins, or else this technique no longer works with RDBMS tables, or else it's just some specific problem in this case.

I have a ticket opened with the help desk, but I was curious if anyone else had experienced problems with define-based joins and Oracle (or any other) RDBMS table.

September 08, 2006, 11:20 AM
N.Selph
We have hundreds of focexecs, written by many different developers. One of them has this define -based join that broke during our upgrade. I wanted to know if define-based join has a particular problem in this release level.