Focal Point
[SOLVED]Performance degradation using MRE

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8057046526

October 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
Håkan
[SOLVED]Performance degradation using MRE
We are calling a SQL Server stored procedure from within WebFOCUS. When both the HTML and Focexec were located in basedir/domain/app it took 5.16 minutes. Moving the Focexec to approot/app reduced the elapsed time to 2.14 minutes. When putting the HTML into approot/app I was able to cut 50% off execution time once again to 1.08 minutes. Besides, when the HTML did reside in basedir/domain/app, WebFOCUS spawned 2 agents, 2 sessions and 2 connections making those 2 processes compete in the SQL Server. Could anybody explain to me, what the idea behind this is? I find it very hard to believe it's a trick from IBI to defer people to use MRE.

We're on WF 7.6.10, Windows Server 2003, SQL Server 2005

The way I used to solve/work-around this was to:

1. Have the html item in the MRE tree redirect to a html page in the server area.
2. Move the .fex to an app in the server area.
3. Call the fex from the server html page.

This way I managed to cut execution time by 50% compared with an all MRE based solution.

Furthermore, WebFOCUS did not spawn 2 agents etc which seemed to create some kind of dead lock in SQL Server.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Håkan,

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)
November 05, 2012, 03:54 PM
Kerry
Thanks Hakan for sharing the workaround with all.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.