Focal Point
Report Documentation

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8191055232

June 14, 2007, 03:47 PM
Renee C
Report Documentation
We currently do not have a centralized location for users to view descriptions of reports available to them. I am often asked the question "How do I know which report to request if I don't know what reports exist". This is a fair question.

We do not have a centralized document repository that everyone would have access to.

Has anyone else been presented with this problem? If so, how did you handle it?

Thanks.
June 14, 2007, 04:35 PM
Alan B
Following the lead from a previous colleague, we used a double system of focexec/master commenting with reporting and a FOCUS db.

This system allows for report descriptions, files accessed, fields accessed, dependancies, change management, group access allowed, key words and so on.

The focexecs and masters were read by a program and the data, including report descriptions, loaded into the FOCUS db.

The downside is it took a bit to set up and needed to be in place from the beginning. A program is run every night to check for updates and load into db. It's really a total app in it's own right.

The upside is that the FOCUS db can be queried (I actually used a maintain, but it needn't be), by a user, to find the best solution for them.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007
June 14, 2007, 05:15 PM
Darin Lee
We actually keep PDF (or HTML) documents on the web server (in the IBI directory/userfiles). This is a directory which has an alias defined to the webserver. The files are updated periodically as changes to the domain contents are made. In the appropriate domains, we include a URL in the standard reports folder (right clk, new, URL) which points to the appropriate documentation for that domain.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
June 15, 2007, 11:15 AM
Renee C
Thanks for the replies! I will consider each method.