Focal Point
executing a .bat file from within webfocus .fex

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8261058191

October 19, 2006, 03:18 PM
cvernon
executing a .bat file from within webfocus .fex
I have created a simple Access database for a customer and I need to schedule a job using report caster that will execute a macro in that database.

The command that I need to run is:
\\Ntfs29\FinShare\PRICING\CEI_BANKDRAFT\MSACCESS.EXE \\Ntfs29\FinShare\PRICING\CEI_BANKDRAFT\CEI_BANKDRAFT.MDB /x CEI_BANKDRAFT_APPEND_PURGE_HISTORY_MACRO

I have tried putting this command in a .bat file and using the dos command within a .fex to execute it, but it does not work...no errors, it just doesn't do anything.

Can you instruct me on the proper way to execute this ? Thank you.
October 19, 2006, 04:45 PM
ibidevelop
cvernon,

Not sure if you tried this already, but try the SYSTEM subroutine as documented here:

http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde.../wf_apps/15ap128.htm

Also, does the .bat file work if you run it outside of WebFOCUS just by double-clicking it in Windows Explorer?

Joe
October 20, 2006, 07:21 AM
Lenny Ward
Here is an example of erasing files.

-* ERASE OLD FILES FROM SPGTEMP AREA

-SET &CSVFILE = '"&&IBSGLOBALDIR.EVAL' || '\IBSshare\Production\SPGTemp\*.CSV"';

-SET &CMD='ERASE &CSVFILE.EVAL';
&FOCMODE &CMD.EVAL

-RUN

(Production: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)
(Test: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)
October 20, 2006, 08:07 AM
cvernon
Thank you. Yes, the .bat file works great outside of WebFocus. I will give the suggestions a try, thanks.
October 20, 2006, 11:15 AM
cvernon
Joe,
I have put the following code in my .fex:
-SET &RETCODE = SYSTEM(154,'\\Ntfs29\FinShare\PRICING\CEI_BANKDRAFT\MSACCESS.EXE \\Ntfs29\FinShare\PRICING\CEI_BANKDRAFT\CEI_BANKDRAFT.MDB /x CEI_BANKDRAFT_APPEND_PURGE_HISTORY_MACRO','D4');
-RUN
-EXIT

It runs without errors, but doesn't do anything. I end up killing the job because it stops registering CPU & I/O time. Any other ideas ?

Lenny...I haven't tried your reply because I'm having difficulty understanding it...not your fault, I'm a novice at this type of programming, but I will try it eventually.
October 20, 2006, 11:33 AM
Lenny Ward
Mine just does an erase of a file. But executing a .bat or .cmd file would be the same.

(Production: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)
(Test: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/CGI)
October 23, 2006, 03:53 PM
cvernon
I have run the following thru report caster:
-SET &RETCODE = SYSTEM(154,'\\Ntfs29\FinShare\PRICING\CEI_BANKDRAFT\MSACCESS.EXE \\Ntfs29\FinShare\PRICING\CEI_BANKDRAFT\CEI_BANKDRAFT.MDB /x CEI_BANKDRAFT_APPEND_PURGE_HISTORY_MACRO','D4');
-RUN
-EXIT

The string is being truncated after the /x CEI. Is there a limit on the length of the string ? I have looked thru documentation and haven't found anything indicating that, yet. Any other ideas ? Thanks so much !
October 23, 2006, 05:18 PM
Francis Mariani
This works:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;
-SET &SYS_CMD = 'C:\temp\very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_long_name\NOTEPAD.EXE C:\temp\very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_long_name\environment variables.txt';
-SET &RETCODE = SYSTEM(&SYS_CMD.LENGTH,'&SYS_CMD.EVAL','D4');

The command is 263 characters long, so it's most likely not the length of your command. Neither is it the blank in the command, I have 'environment variables.txt' and that works.

Does the command work from a DOS prompt?

I suggest you put the command you want to execute in a Dialog Manager variable. Then you can code the SYSTEM command by using the .length syntax so you won't have to calculate the length of the command. This, unfortunately will probably not solve your problem.

What version of Windows is the WebFOCUS server running on? What is the version of WebFOCUS?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
October 23, 2006, 05:20 PM
Francis Mariani
I have NOT tried this through ReportCaster.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server