Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Report Caster + Change Management

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Report Caster + Change Management
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I have 34 schedules that I used WebFOCUS Change Management to deploy from our Dev environment to our QA environment.

In Dev the Owner is a Dev service User ID. In QA the Owner should be a QA service User ID. For each schedule, it takes 5 point and clicks (with a few mouse moves as well) to change the User ID after the schedules are deployed to QA.

After deployment, the schedule task Scheduling Object is not populated. The Folder Location for Report Library Distribution Method is not populated. It takes 20 point and clicks (with a few mouse scrolls/moves as well) to correct these two issues.

25 x 34 = 850 point and clicks. Guess at what point this becomes intensely tedious? Long Live The GUI.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that some kind of internal fex and Report Library "Item ID" is used in the Report Caster schedule data. When you use Change Management to migrate the schedules from one environment to another, it's obvious that the internal ID of the fex and Report Library Items are different from one environment to another, so I wonder why it takes a "new feature request" to ensure that the Report Caster schedule is referencing the correct Items.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It seems that the issue occurs when a folder with the same Name was independently created on each of the two environments.

I can have a folder in the Dev environment named Folder1 and a folder in the Prod environment named Folder1. If these were created in each environment, their internal ID would be different. Change Management Import will not be able to find the schedule target fexes.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
The solution to this problem is discipline: do not use Dev Studio to drag/drop files from one environment to another - always use Change Management.

I deleted the folders and their contents in the target environment (which had originally been copy/pasted via drag/drop in Dev Studio. Then I used Change Management to deploy the Repository folders, fexes and RC schedules. It appears the schedules do not lose their Scheduling Object.

I've been told that "handles" are not only for v7 migrated files, but also for files created in v8, which I assume are used here.

Regards.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
A side note: I noticed that with Change Management, I can deploy a Repository folder (or reporting server folder or web app folder) and its contents by selecting only the folder in the Change Management package (with "With Subtree" selected), but it seems for RC schedules, I need to select the containing folder (with "With Subtree" not selected) and the specific schedules. I could be misunderstanding something.

Francis