Focal Point
Is there a way to implement textarea in Maintain?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8401036332

June 21, 2007, 01:52 PM
John_Edwards
Is there a way to implement textarea in Maintain?
My client is asking me for a tall multi-line field that will show the 250 characters of text in a field in five rows of fifty. Is there a way to implement this in Maintain?

J.

June 22, 2007, 04:49 AM
Alan B
John

If the users enter the text into a multi-line field and supply their own line break, then this will be honoured when the data is redisplayed.

If the text is entered on one line, then you can simply use PARAG and CTRAN to break the line and place a carriage return in the data.

If there is a mixture of text with and without line breaks, you can make a decision on whether to honour the user line breaks or not, using CTRAN and POSIT to find the location of the break, and redefining or accepting. Or, if the user enters a line break you can remove it before saving the data.

Generally, we train the users to enter the text in a formatted way, using the WRAP property OFF for the multi-line. You can of course have the WRAP set to HARD or SOFT for different variations.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007
June 22, 2007, 10:18 AM
Lusheng
I used textarea with javascript to implement a same request as yours. Users type data in the textarea, javascript code in the onblur event to disemble the long text into a few lines, then assign the values to some hidden text box, then Maintain code can read from hidden text box one by one.
June 22, 2007, 10:25 AM
John_Edwards
     Thank you both -- "MultiEditBox" in Maintain does indeed implement via html's textarea. I did not recognize the translation until I saw your answers.

This is exactly what I need.

J.