Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Password Secuirty

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Password Secuirty
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I am naive user of WebFOCUS 7.1.3 and need clarity in following things.

1)How the DB Connections are handled in WebFocus and where are the credentials are stored i.e. in which file and location it is stored?
2) Who are all have access to that file/metadata DB whether developers or only admins?
3) we need to secure that file/DB by any means? Is there anyway in WebFocus that we can do this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Web Focus 7.1.3
IBM-AIX
generally in HTML format but in some reports we go for PDF format too

<JG>
posted
Sudhagar, I know that you are new to the forum but please do not make multiple posts asking the same question.

Credentials if supplied are stored in edasprof.prf, the password is encrypted.

WebFOCUS can not overide the security on the database, when you configure the adapter
you have multiple choices for your type of connection take a look at the adapter documentation
availaable via the WebFOCUS server console,

quote:

There are three methods by which a user can be authenticated when connecting to an DB2 database server:

Explicit. The user ID and password are explicitly specified for each connection and passed to DB2, at connection time, for authentication.

Password Passthru. The user ID and password received from the client application are passed to DB2, at connection time, for authentication.

Trusted. The adapter connects to DB2 using the DB2 rules for an impersonated process that are relevant to the current operating system.

Access to the metadata is controlled by WebFOCUS security.
If a user has access to the correct application area he can see the metadata.

However being able to see and use the metadata does not allow you to see the data, as I said WebFOCUS
can not overide the security on the database and if that is restricted you see only what it allows.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi JG, the post regarding DB Connection security is something different. That is about securing the channel. Anyway sorry for the inconvenience caused.

would you be bit clearer on where this edasprof.prf is stored in an Unix box? whether the credentials are encrypted by default or have to change settings on server? Is it possible to open edasprof at OS Level? My requirement exactly is I want to secure that file such that it is not accessible to any one other than admin? Is it possible?

Web Focus 7.1.3
IBM-AIX
generally in HTML format but in some reports we go for PDF format too

Expert
posted Hide Post
I gave an answer to your previous post. Please check it out.

If you are new to WebFOCUS, I'm not sure I'd go mucking around at the OS level to change things.

The edasprof.prf file is stored in the wfs/etc directory of your configuration.

The password for the connect string is encrypted by default when the connection is made. If you want to ensure that only the admin has access, remove the connect string from edasprof.prf and put it in the admin id's personal profile stored in the 'profiles' directory. See the edaserve.cfg file in wfs/bin directory for the location of the profiles directory.

I would strongly suggest that you read the server adminstration manual for Windows/Unix if you are going to be messing around with config files.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post