Focal Point
Multiple Joins in a program or Recursive join??

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8441002892

September 04, 2008, 01:56 PM
Denny99
Multiple Joins in a program or Recursive join??
First, I've created a program joining to multiple files. After I get my result from the initial join I need to take a field from my result data from my first join and re-read the original join to get some other records (I will eventually do a merge to bring the records together into one dataset). Can I put multiple joins in a program? If so, can you tell me where to look for further assistance? In addition, I read some documentation on recursive joins and it looked like it would work but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks a million and I hope I made sense above.
September 04, 2008, 02:12 PM
GinnyJakes
You can do multiple joins or recursive joins but from what you said, it appears that using the WHERE IN FILE syntax might work better for your second request.

You can look in the "Creating Reports with the WebFOCUS Language" for information on this syntax and also search this forum.

It would be helpful, however, if you would update your profile signature with your product suite, release, and platform. Topics move around in manuals based on release.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
September 04, 2008, 02:17 PM
j.gross
Yes, you can combine a series of report steps, each requiring different JOIN structures, in a single fex --
Issue a
JOIN CLEAR
statement to clear out the previous ones,
then issue your new set of joins and a TABLE or GRAPH request against the parent of the joins.

Yes, the new set of Joins can involve a dataset freshly created by the earlier section of the fex. In your case, the Hold file would be the parent in all the Joins in the second step -- so you have to clear the previous joins, join the hold file to the file that was the parent in the old join structre, and additonally join the hold file to the other files involved in the first structure.

Recursive join involves joining a file to itself (e.g., joining emplyee record to employees_boss's employee record). I don't see where that enters the picture here.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05
September 04, 2008, 02:27 PM
Prarie
** Update signature
1) Logon to Focal Point and go into your complete profile.
2) Scroll down the page until you see the “Signature” field.
3) Fill in the signature you want to use. Here is a sample to model:

Prod: WebFOCUS 5.2.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/ISAPI Mode
Test: WebFOCUS 7.1 on Win 2K/IIS 6/Weblogic 8.1/Servlet Mode

4) Once all changes are made/added, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Submit button.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003