Focal Point
Bursting a Report

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8611018331

November 09, 2004, 08:42 PM
<Prarie>
Bursting a Report
Is It possible to burst a report on the by field, if you don't know what the value is going to be.
Example TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY
BY CAR PAGE-BREAK
END
Now I want to burst this and send each
car to a different e-mail...but I won't know what the car is going to be. I just want the burst on the field CAR. Is this possible or am I dreaming?
November 09, 2004, 08:59 PM
TexasStingray
You need some way to tell report caster who gets what part of the report. If you want to just randomly send it out then you could use report caster to create a filelist and have it generate the burst value and to address (in 1 report caster job) and ftp, where a second report caster job could pick it up and use it as the distribution file and burst out your report. ( I don't know why you would wnot want to control who get what part of the report).
November 09, 2004, 11:54 PM
susannah
you would need to know the email address for every possible value of the burst variable.
If you know that, then you can have a lookup table, and use a DISTRIBUTION FILE rather than having to set up a DISTRIBUTION LIST.
The dist file is just a flat file with
emailaddress,burstvalue,$
and the documentation on how to point to it is in the Caster admin manual, page 79 (of the 52 manual), which you can download from the support site as a pdf,but you know that already.
That work for you?
November 10, 2004, 01:55 AM
George Brown
It is also possible to utilize another .fex file to generate your distribution file. Look in the docs for "Dynamic Address" and reportcaster... you should find it that way.