Focal Point
[SOLVED] Editing synonym files

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/864103915

August 31, 2010, 06:52 PM
Tomsweb
[SOLVED] Editing synonym files
I need to edit a synonym file for an Oracle table (SUFFIX=ORASQL) that already exists.
Basically I need to remove and add a few fields, and there may be a field format that I need to change.

Odd as it sounds, I have not had to deal with creating or editing synonym tables, and I'd
appreciate a little nudge beyond the online documentation I've been reading.

Do I need to use the synonym editor or can I just text edit the current synonym and save
as curr_syn_2?

Any ideas? Confused
Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tomsweb,

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
APP Studio, Developer Studio, InfoAssist, Dashboards, charts & reports
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36
August 31, 2010, 07:18 PM
N.Selph
You can edit the current synonym and save it, but be sure to save a matching acx file as well.

Its easier to use the synonym creation mechanism in WebFOCUS, though. Very quick, very easy.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)
August 31, 2010, 07:22 PM
Waz
If they are minor changes, then edit the MAS file, its only text.

If you are uncomfortable editing directly, then use the editor.

I would suggest making a backup before changes, as a precaution.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

August 31, 2010, 07:40 PM
Doug
Either way would work. Just ensure that you know the details about the field that you need to add... You can see that be editing the original / full view (MFD). Like Waz said: It's only text ... backup before changes, as a precaution.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206