Focal Point
[CLOSED]Is there an easy way to find empty variables in the parameter prompt

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8667017286

June 10, 2016, 01:34 PM
Jon FB
[CLOSED]Is there an easy way to find empty variables in the parameter prompt
Hi folks,

I apologise if the subject of this post makes no sense, i'm trying to figure out the best way to word it.

I have over 100 &VARS in my .FEX and one is missing, when i run the FEX i get the prompt and i can't scroll through the &VARS to find which ones aren't being populated. Is there a way to see those empty variables when you view the source of the WebFOCUS prompt? (The one that contains a lot of JavaScript)

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8.04
June 10, 2016, 01:40 PM
Tom Flynn
Jon,
I'll take a WAG, Its "usually" the last one, but, can be any one that has a blank/null...
Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe
June 10, 2016, 02:11 PM
John_Edwards
Put "Snickelfritz" into it and run it. You should be able to search for it out in the source code of the output report. Remember to set &ECHO to all.

June 10, 2016, 02:32 PM
David Briars
quote:
...Is there a way to see those empty variables when you view the source of the WebFOCUS prompt?...

Try setting the ECHO parm, in your fex with the following command:
-SET &ECHO = 'ALL'; 

EXecute your focexec, (and click run on the Auto-Parameter screen if you are getting it), and your view source will show the command lines executed.

Hopefully, this will support your debugging.

quote:
...i'm trying to figure out the best way to word it....

The term you might be looking for is 'unresolved amper variable'.

WebFOCUS will work to resolve Dialogue Manager variables, if it cannot resolve (find a value) you'll see a prompt or error message.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Briars,

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster
June 10, 2016, 03:41 PM
John_Edwards
Yeah, if you run the report directly it should crash out with an error telling you what amper-variable doesn't have a value assigned, or at a minimum what line of source code is wonked by it.

June 12, 2016, 05:01 PM
dbeagan
Maybe you could tab key to other var's prompts? If not, then in the JavaScript of the View Source of the autoprompt page, I see this for an unresolved &VAR02 from a fex:

jsData.ampers[9] = new Object( );
    jsData.ampers[9].name = "VAR02";
    jsData.ampers[9].fieldName = "VAR02";
    jsData.ampers[9].type = "unresolved";

So it looks like you can search for:

"unresolved";

to find the vars you are looking for.

WebFOCUS 8.2.06