Focal Point
Dashboard best practice

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8701027482

May 19, 2008, 11:57 AM
MacLonghorn
Dashboard best practice
What's the best practice when developing dashboards? I typically put all FEX and HTML code in MRE, but I've also seen the case of putting those in an app folder on EDASERVE, and create a URL that points to the HTML in MRE. What are the differences? Is one a better approach? Is there a tech article on this?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Mark
WF 7.6 Windows
May 19, 2008, 12:33 PM
hammo1j
The dashboard will only pick up stuff that is in MRE and if you want to create URLs you will have to put them there first as you say. You will have to unhide from user when you want to add it and then hide if these bits of code are not required for the MRE.

This does seem to be a bit of a limitation and I have had my usual moan about the security model, but you can get it to work eventually but its not intuitive!

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo
May 20, 2008, 09:43 AM
MacLonghorn
Thanks. But is there any advantage/disadvantage to putting the actual code (FEX, HTML) in app folders vs putting them in MRE folders? If you can "point" to app folders w/ URLs, it seems to be a wash. Is there some limitation (or benefit) if you put the code in app folders?

Thanks.

Mark
WF 7.6 Windows
May 20, 2008, 10:36 AM
hammo1j
I would suggest you put actual code (.fex) into the MRE (I dont think you put html pages in MRE only urls - I may be mistaken - someone please tell me if I am wrong).

My reasoning is that Dashboard seems to try to obey the security rules of MRE

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo