Focal Point
[CLOSED] Printing file description of master file/synonym

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8837041436

October 15, 2013, 10:47 AM
smoss
[CLOSED] Printing file description of master file/synonym
Is the a way to print the file specifications for a master file or synonym? I know you can print it in text view but that is not very friendly. I’m looking for a way to print it in a field view look with name/format/desc/etc.

In the synonym editor there is a print option but it is grayed out and you can copy and paste but it only pastes the field name.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03M
OS/400 and the client is Win7
October 15, 2013, 10:54 AM
Wep5622
Well, you can report on it:
CHECK FILE CAR HOLD
-RUN

TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT FIELDNAME ALIAS TITLE DESCRIPTION FORMAT INDX
BY FILENAME NOPRINT
BY SUFFIX NOPRINT
BY SEGNO NOPRINT
BY SEGNAME NOPRINT
BY FLDNO NOPRINT

ON TABLE SUBHEAD
"<FILENAME <SUFFIX"

ON SEGNAME
"<SEGNAME"

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
END

I assume there are methods to send report output straight to a printer.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :
October 15, 2013, 11:01 AM
Francis Mariani
You can use the internal system table called SYSCOLUM to print reports regarding data tables.

It is located in the reporting server catalogue directory (D:\ibi\srv77\home\catalog\syscolum.mas).

You cannot PRINT *, because it has several segments, but you can take a look at the master and try something like this:

TABLE FILE SYSCOLUM
PRINT 
NAME
COLTYPE
LENGTH
SCALE
WHERE TBNAME EQ 'CAR'
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
October 15, 2013, 12:46 PM
Tony A
quote:
You cannot PRINT *, ....

If you SET ALL = PASS this will allow you to use PRINT * but be mindful of the size of synonym that you are querying. Always target a specific TBNAME unless you don't mind waiting for your browser (or other APP) to receive and display the data.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10