Focal Point
Burst Reporting with Dynamic Addresses

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8891051502

January 04, 2007, 10:51 AM
Tom Brittnacher
Burst Reporting with Dynamic Addresses
I am a little confused on how to do burst reporting with a dynamic address list. I found this article , but I am confused as to how to create the master file it talks about. I have an employee table that contains the burst value and a username, which I will use a define field to tack on @domain.com. Maybe I am missing something obvious here, but if anyone could assist, it would be greatly appreciated.

We are using WebFOCUS 7.1.3 w/ ReportCaster.
January 04, 2007, 11:03 AM
Tony A
Tom,

In the fex you write to create the dynamic list you willneed two columns of output - one named OUTPUT and one named DEST (both uppercase and in that order).

Place the burst value in VALUE and the email address in DEST and then just PCHOLD the output.

SET ASNAMES = ON
TABLE FILE filename
PRINT BURST_VALUE   AS 'VALUE'
      EMAIL_ADDRESS AS 'DEST'
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

RC will do the rest. Simple.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
January 08, 2007, 02:23 PM
Tom Brittnacher
I did as you specified Tony, and it finally worked. I figured out that you cannot use define fields in this file, not sure why, but you just cannot. I changed the field to be an email address field instead of just the username where I tack on the @domain.com.
January 09, 2007, 03:30 AM
Tony A
Tom,

Did you use the "AS" syntax for your defined fields? I have used defines without problems but you must use the "AS" syntax plus PCHOLD.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
January 09, 2007, 08:03 AM
Tom Brittnacher
I got everything to work now, using the DEFINE fields. Before, I kept getting an error while creating the dynamic address list. Not sure what it was, maybe syntax was just a little different, but now it works.

Thanks for all your help!