Focal Point
[CLOSED] How to customize HELP link on the dashboard

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8907097906

September 15, 2011, 04:57 PM
RolfInSeattle
[CLOSED] How to customize HELP link on the dashboard
On the WebFocus dashboard is a link to "Help" (along with "Logoff", "Views", etc). That help takes me to WebFocus help. Which, on a production dashboard is not helpful to my users. How can I redirect this help to a help system that I have developed instead?

BTW - searching the forum for "HELP" is pretty much useless so I couldn't even find out if this has been answered previous.

Version: WebFocus 7.7.02

Thank you

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.7.0.2
Linux, HTML
September 21, 2011, 10:39 PM
Francis Mariani
This is probably the only legitimate method:

1) Toolbox > Add a toolbox and add your "Help" Link to the toolbox

2) Edit Look > Logo & Links > Remove the WF "Help" from the Selected Links

3) Edit Look > Toolbar > Select Toolbar 1 and check the checkbox. Add your "Help" link to the Selected Links.

Unfortunately this adds an extra component to the view heading.

An alternative method is to manually add the html hyperlink to the banner.html file:

<a target="myhelp" href="http://google.com">My Help</a> | <!--Links-->

Your link must be before the < !--Links--> tag. This is not a kosher method - any time you modify the view Look, the "& nbsp;|& nbsp; gets removed.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
September 22, 2011, 02:04 PM
MORPHEUS
Unfortunately, there is no simple way of modifying this since it requires changes to the dashboard files in the web application and this can't be done via our GUI tools. You can certainly try creating your own Help link as Francis has suggested.
However, if you like there is a couple of cases that have requested this and has been submitted as a New Feature Request. If you would like feel free to open a case and we can send it to the division.