Focal Point
Text files as input source

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9241035072

February 08, 2008, 04:54 AM
mkaranth
Text files as input source
Hi,
From a WINDOWS server i created a master file with SUFFIX as FIX and pointed it to a text file which is in a shared area using the DATASET keyword.
I am able to see the data from the master file.
But this does not work when i access from a UNIX server. I get no errors but it says no data found. Anything different to be done on a unix server?

Web Focus 7.1.3, Unix
February 08, 2008, 09:21 AM
GinnyJakes
Assuming that the file is actually on Unix, make sure that you either have an APP PREPENDPATH in the focexec pointing to the directory where the master (with the DATASET parameter) for you fixed file lives OR put the directory in your profile's application path.

We do this all the time. Works great.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
February 08, 2008, 02:07 PM
Darin Lee
I would assume that since the WF server is on Windows that the text file also exists on Windows unless you have a mapped directory to a unix location using Samba or similar. DATASET specifies the physical location of the file. On Windows the physical location includes drive letters, but on Unix/Linux it does not. So either 1)you need different MFDs for the two servers 2)you need to use a FILEDEF in the fex instead of DATASET attribute in the MFD or 3)I am very confused about your system configuration Wink

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
February 08, 2008, 05:47 PM
Leah
I agree with Darin. I've never used DATASET in an MFD, but if it is 'DOS/Windows' formating for path, it will never work in UNIX as UNIX is 'backwards' from 'DOS/Windows' as to path formatting. Then you use FILEDEF. Went through this quite recently moving user fex from a Windows world to a LINUX (unix) world.

Leah
February 08, 2008, 08:09 PM
Darin Lee
We actually use DATASET as often as possible - makes less work for the users. Especially useful in our MVS/ZLinux environment where PDS are used. Users don't have to know if/where the data exists and don't need filedefs in their code.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat