Focal Point
join sql passthrough files

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9451048371

June 27, 2006, 12:00 PM
Christine
join sql passthrough files
I am trying to join a saved sql passthrough file to another file and I keep getting this error
(FOC205) THE DESCRIPTION CANNOT BE FOUND FOR FILE NAMED: FADOO6SQ
The file exists because I can print it but when I save it I can't do a join. here is the code.
TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS FAD006SQ FORMAT ALPHA
END

Any help greatly appreciated.
June 27, 2006, 12:17 PM
KevinG
Christine,

By default, HOLD files are saved in the WF agent temp directory. They are available to that report for the duration of your session with that agent. Check into FILEDEF, which looks something like this;

FILEDEF holdname disk C:\ibi\baseapp

You should be able to JOIN within the same fex with out the FILEDEF.

Kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX
June 27, 2006, 12:22 PM
Leah
By 'save' do you mean you say 'on table save as' to create a flat file. If the file is saved not held, you would need to tell FOCUS what the master file definition was. The HOLD option generates the MFD for you temporarily so you can do the joins. So I guess it's a matter of what you're trying to do with the output of the SQL passthrough. Does it need to be 'saved' or just 'held' to do further reporting and you are finished with it when the report has run.

Leah
June 28, 2006, 10:41 AM
TexasStingray
Christine

It soulds like you are doing you process as a multiple step process. Can you do you process as a one step.

SQL.....
TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS FAD006SQ_1 FORMAT ALPHA
END
SQL....
TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS FAD006SQ_2 FORMAT ALPHA
END

JOIN ... IN FAD006SQ_1 TO ... IN FAD006SQ_2 AS Jx

If you cannot then try using APP HOLD xxx where xxx is the directory you want the DATA FILE and the MASTER FILE stored in then you will have to issue FILEDEF commands to both files so WebFOCUS can find the data and the xxx path will have to be your the app path.

Hope this helps

Scott

Thank you all very much. I finally got a sample report to come back and can now expand it to the real one. Part of the problem was the order of which table I was joining to which.