Focal Point
length of drill down link and pdf open close = crash

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9501035462

January 04, 2008, 03:14 PM
jodye
length of drill down link and pdf open close = crash
Hi

Wow I just found a strange problem. When I have a long drill down link in a pdf and I am using multiple pdf outputs with OPEN and CLOSE... the pdf will crash with the message "the file is damaged and could no be repaired". Consider this code

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF OPEN
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY COUNTRY
ON COUNTRY SUBHEAD
"LINK"
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF CLOSE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=SUBHEAD,BY=COUNTRY, LINE=1, ITEM=1,SIZE=6,STYLE=BOLD,
FOCEXEC=nonii1e8(A='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' B='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' C='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' \
D='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' E='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' F='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' G='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' \
H='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' I='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' J='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' K='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' \
L='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAAAAAAAAAAA'),$
ENDSTYLE
END

This gives me the error. If I comment out the first table file car request then it works. If I remove 3 characters from the link then it works with both pages. Curiously, if I remove 1 or 2 characters, the pdf is generated but the second page is blank.

Anyone see this behaviour before? I guess I will open a case on it.

Happy New Year.

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M
January 07, 2008, 04:58 AM
GamP
I ran this against my 717 server on windows and had no problem in creating the pdf.
Might be that this problem is related to your 716 release only, and that it is already resolved in 717. Maybe worth to upgrade your server to 717 and see what happens.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
January 07, 2008, 08:10 AM
Tony A
On my current Client's config (7.6.2) I get an error complaining about "CLOSE" so I have to modify it to this to get it to work -
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF OPEN
END
SET COMPOUND = CLOSE
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY COUNTRY
ON COUNTRY SUBHEAD
"LINK"
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=SUBHEAD,BY=COUNTRY, LINE=1, ITEM=1,SIZE=6,STYLE=BOLD,
FOCEXEC=nonii1e8(A='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' B='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' C='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' \
D='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' E='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' F='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' G='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' \
H='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' I='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' J='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' K='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ' \
L='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAAAAAAAAAAA'),$
ENDSTYLE
END

Then it runs OK - no problems.

GamP's suggestion of upgrade might be the way to go

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
January 07, 2008, 01:49 PM
jodye
Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses. Gamp, We will look at upgrading soon I hope. Tony, your code still gives the same error.

It is a strange one. I understand that there is a max length for a drill down URL but I don't see what that has to do with whether it is a compound pdf or not.

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M