Focal Point
Output to Website

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9561018331

December 03, 2004, 01:22 PM
<Prarie>
Output to Website
I am creating a Website that users can go in and view their Daily and Weekly Reports. Rather than have them click on a link and run them...I would like to run them overnight in ReportCaster and then FTP the Output to the Site. I have not been able to find any documentation on this. Anyone have any techniques or insight as to where I can find the documentation or can this just not be done? I'm on 5.2.3 on a Unix Box.

Thanks.
December 03, 2004, 03:00 PM
susannah
easy as pie. i gave a presentation at summit last year on how to make suchpages for your portal page. I'm in win2k, so my directories may be different from yours, but here goes:
1. my site is on d:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ on its server. So i have to park my caster-made tables within this directory structure, so my site can find them.
2. in my fex,
FILEDEF MYTAB DISK D:\InetPub\wwwroot\portal\mytab.htm
TABLE FILE CAR
...do stuff
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYTAB FORMAT HTMTABLE
END
This way, caster doesn't display the table, it just makes the table as a file and parks it whereever you've filedef'd it.
3. If this table is to have drill downs in it, then i have to remember to tell these links where to find the webfocus cgi
so at the top of my fex i have this statement
SET FOCEXURL = http://webfocus/cgi-bin/ibi_cgi/webapi.dll
(I use isapi, if you use servlet, then change this statement accordingly)
4. now in my site, i just have my framesets load this page , just as it would any other pre-made page.
are you ok from here?
December 03, 2004, 04:37 PM
<Prarie>
Well I think I lost you between step 3 and 4. What exactly am I sending to the WebPage and How do I get it there? This is my first one so have patience.

Thanks.
December 03, 2004, 07:34 PM
susannah
step 3 is only if you have drilldowns in this table that you are saving to your site.
If you dont have drill downs, not to worry.
Is your site selfserv or mre?
December 06, 2004, 01:52 PM
<Prarie>
SelfServe.
December 06, 2004, 05:48 PM
susannah
good. that should make it easy.
but i don't see exactly where you're getting stuck.
Your fex produces an html page. You're just parking that page within your server directory instead of displaying it on the user's screen.
Now in your selfserv site, where you would normally have a call to the webfocus cgi to run the fex that produces that report, just have a link to the page that is already produced.
You don't have to use FTP. just filedef the output page to the server, within the site heirarchy so the site can find it. well...maybe you don't have the the proper server drive mapped to your wf server, so you can't filedef it. hmm. maybe at your place, ftp is the only way. well, if so, so be it.
December 06, 2004, 06:41 PM
MTracker
You might be making an assumption that the website is located on the same physical server as the report server. If not you might need to have one reportcaster job that creates the content and another jop to ftp the file. I believe that a reportcaster job that has a FTP task type can only do the ftp that is why you would need two jobs to get the work done. Maybe in a future release???
December 07, 2004, 01:38 PM
<Prarie>
Thanks...Everyone...I'll try your suggestions.