Focal Point
How to get error messages from WFServlet

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9561067331

October 31, 2003, 07:57 PM
<bkrodgers>
How to get error messages from WFServlet
We're moving away from CGI to WFServlet, and I've found one issue that causes a problem for me in terms of development (we write FOCEXECs by hand here). Under the CGI, error messages are printed as HTML comments. However, when running as WFServlet, I don't get error messages at all. I don't know if they're being logged to a file I'm not aware of or if they're just being lost completely, but I'd really like them to be displayed on the screen (or at least in the HTML comments like CGI does it).

Is there a configuration setting that needs to be changed?

Thanks,
-Brian
November 13, 2003, 01:40 PM
<Joselyn Ruiz>
The WFServlet should return error messages exactly the same way the CGI does. We had problems in this area for the WFServlet that have been corrected. Can you verify for me the release that you are experiencing the problem in?
November 13, 2003, 02:51 PM
<bkrodgers>
It's 4.36 -- I don't believe we have any CSP applied.

So is this a bug in the servlet, and not a configuration setting I can change? We're looking at moving to 5.2 next year sometime, but I'd love to be able to fix it sooner.

Thanks,
-Brian
November 13, 2003, 05:16 PM
<Joselyn Ruiz>
Yes this was a bug in the WFServlet prior to 52. It has nothing to do with configuration. You can put in a formal request (hottrack case) for this in 436 and we will see what we can do but this was part of the new architecture of the WFServlet in 52. I don't know how easy it would be to take the fix in a 436 service pack.
November 13, 2003, 06:21 PM
<bkrodgers>
OK, good to know it's fixed then. I won't be putting in any request for a 4.36 fix simply because we've decided to work towards a 5.2 upgrade instead (there's an extensive change management process in our environment, and even installing a service pack is a bunch of effort). I can live with it for now, and I may even be able to use this to push the 5.2 upgrade forward a bit faster.

Thanks!
-Brian