Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     pre naming a range in excel output?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
pre naming a range in excel output?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Anybody know how to pre-name a range in excel output so that focus can read the excel file directly back in?
Now, users either have to export the excel file to a .csv so that focus can read it, or highlight a data area and give it a specified range name so that focus can read the excel file directly (so waaaay above my users's abilities).
If i could pre-name that range when focus creates the excel file initially, i'ld be able to read it again directly when my users are done entering their data. So i need a
ON TABLE PCHOLD AS MFILE FORMAT EXCEL(or EXL2K) RANGE FRED
something like that would work great.
Anybody know how, or have a work-around idea?

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<monte2000>
posted
Susannah - Did you resolve this problem?

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
nope

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I may have a convoluted way to accomplish this, but I have not actually written the code for it. Here it is:

Create a simple exel macro that will run every time you open exel (Autoload). It only does three things.
1) Checks if this is the sheet you want to work with, so it must have a specific name. If it is the sheet you want then

2) it names the range of cells to whatever you need. And then

3) saves and closes the sheet.

The last step is important, because it lets you call the procedure from DOS, (thus from dialogue manager) The step will take but a second, so there is no real impact on processing, and it will only effect the one sheet you want it to, all others will be ok on your server, since they don't have the magic name that fires the macro.

It would take about 15 minutes to write this, but since nothing really takes 15 minutes if you want to test it too, I don't have the time this morning. Let me know if you need such a sample, and I'll find the time to write one.

Posts: 44 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 23, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Steve if you have it written I would like to take a look at it.
I'm running 7.1.1 and need to populate a worksheet which has a range on it. I then use the range to populate other ranges and charts on in the workbook.

<JG>
posted
Susannah as your'e still not on 7.1 look at the new article on using macros in pre 7.1
that has finally been posted.

The example macro that I included to set the print area could be used to set the named range
with very little modification.

However what I would do in your case is use an AutoClose macro that set the range when the user
exited that way you are sure not to miss any thing

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
WF 7.13 has this as a feature. (Excel Named Ranges). I guess this was new for that version.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post