Focal Point
Focus query

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9731038082

April 17, 2008, 09:30 AM
Vikas
Focus query
Hi,

I want to know how to use the MATCH condition effectively. Which is more effective - MATCH or JOIN?

Regards,
Vix

7.2.3IBM system Z9 Business class
Flat files, excel and CSV files.
April 17, 2008, 09:57 AM
Leah
It depends, Smiler. There are times when getting the information for your report is such that only match will solve the issue. I prefer joins, but then you contend with inner/outer, one to many, and so one. Sometimes though I have to use match as it is the only way to resolve my data selection issues.

Leah
April 18, 2008, 09:00 AM
PBrightwell
Join is generally more efficient if you want data only if records exist on the host file. Use MATCH If you are wanting to merge 2 or more files even if records do not exist on the host (old-or-new), eliminate records that have a matching segment on the "new file" (old-not-new), eliminate records that have a matching segment on the "old file" (new-not-old), keep the records from either file that do not match (old-nor-new). I will use MATCH for the new, old and old-and-new conditions if I am having to manipulate data to get it into the same format, match on more than 2 fields or the merge files have no indexes.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes