Focal Point
Shared DevStudio on Citrix

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9741068582

May 29, 2008, 03:31 PM
cburtt
Shared DevStudio on Citrix
Does anyone have words of advice, precautionary hints, or tales to tell regarding the installation of DevStudio on a Citrix platform?

We are implementing DS 764 on Citrix so that developers can telecommute and get to DS from any Citrix compatable workstation, not just their own in their office/cubicle. (No local host; we run *.fex on the DS's WebFOCUS Environment servers.)

Security is via Active Directory. Everyone logs in uniquely, which policy I presume is accommated in DS's WF Environments by not entering credentials for the buttons, thus forcing each user to enter their own as required once each DS-environment-button-connection.

Citrix will limit the number of simultaneous users to comply with our IBI license.

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.
June 12, 2008, 03:01 PM
Laure
We do this and have had no issues. This is faster than using from the notebook via a VPN which is why we installed. We have several folks telecomputing for 15 plus months in this manner.

Laure

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03 - MRE, BID, - WindowsXP - Oracle 9i, SQLServer, DevStudio 7.7.3 - Apache Tomcat , Output: HTML, Excel 2013 and PDF
June 18, 2008, 01:07 PM
ctostu
I used this setup as a consultant with the AirForce for about two years. It was a little slow at times , but that was the network. All in all a good option.

Stuart

WF Production Version - 7.7.03 WIN 7 Solaris Oracle 11g
WF Production Version - 8.0.83 Win 7 Oracle 11g and SQL Server 2008
June 18, 2008, 06:24 PM
susannah
Chris, how do you control which domains/apps
each user has access to,in DS?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
June 19, 2008, 10:19 AM
GamP
Chris,

We had the same question, and asked IBI what the word is on support for Citrix. Their answer was:
quote:

DevStudio releases 717 and 761 have been successfully tested and are certified with Citrix Metaframe release 3.

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
June 20, 2008, 09:34 AM
cburtt
Susannah,

We have only 14 DS licenses, worldwide, so only developers and 'super users' get one. We'll use/convert_to the Citrix image so that they aren't tied to their office desktops and can telecomute more easily; our secure portal is Citrix based.

Thus, we're not too concerned with controlling each DS user's acess to Domains and AppDirs. These are our core Focus Folks and the Spidy-principle applies: "With great ability comes great responsibility".

I will configure the Citrix DS without UIDs and PsWds in it's Environment's Properties. Each user will have to log-in to each server_ service/sub_application with his/her own credentials. A bit inconvenient, but I think it happens only once per server-Sub_application session.

We don't use DS Local Host on desktops and won't use it on Citrix DS either.

Chris

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.