Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
ReporCaster setup
 Login/Join

<Navin>
posted
Hi

Can we set up a ReportCaster like

* 2 Distribution Servers pointing to same Oracle reporitory

* we have 2 WF servers also.

we need to set up in such a way that each reportcaster should run a job that is not completed by the other one.

Is that possible ??

Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
This is not a good idea because then you have 2 distribution servers fighting over the repository. We tried it in WebFOCUS 52 a few years ago and it did not work.

You can install 2 distribution server to point at the same repository but only one distribution server can only be up at any given time. This works well with a Prod/Disaster Recovery setup.

WebFOCUS 7.6.11 HF 6 Client Reporting Server/Caster
7.6.11 PDS Server on MVS DB2
1.46R Tandem
7.6.11 IWAY SQL Server 2000
Access

Posts: 40 | Location: OKC | Registered: January 10, 2005Report This Post
<Navin>
posted
Thanks Kevin ,

Currently we are in a scenarion were in both are up and executing the same job (duplicate processing is happening)

I want to know

* the steps for the Distribution server automatic failover .

Note :

I have a repository in one machine(R).
Distribution server(D) in one machine and
WF Server in another machine(W).
I want to know a failover scenarion for Distribution server if machine D is down

Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
So you have 2 distribution servers running off one repository right now, and it works?

I don't have any regarding automatic fail over.

WebFOCUS 7.6.11 HF 6 Client Reporting Server/Caster
7.6.11 PDS Server on MVS DB2
1.46R Tandem
7.6.11 IWAY SQL Server 2000
Access

Posts: 40 | Location: OKC | Registered: January 10, 2005Report This Post
<Navin>
posted
Right Kevin.

That works fine.
The only thing is they are twice processed as we have two DS pointing to the same repository.

Report This Post
<Navin>
posted
All

I have got from IBI that the Distribution server failover will be implemented in the

"WebFOCUS V7.6 Service Pack
5. which is targeted for release by the end of the first quarter, 2008."

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Navin,
I've architected a couple of WebFOCUS Systems this year that have failover for ReportCaster.
What we had to do in each case was have two physical machines in an active/passive load balanced pair.
The Distribution Server on the Active box is started, the one on the passive box is not started unless the heartbest for the active box fails. Upon which the load balancer redirects all traffic to the passive box (and starts the Distribution Server).
On a side note, you'll need your Oracle Database to be a cluster as well or you'll still have a single point of failure for Report Caster.
Doug

I support multiple Information Builders customers across platforms with very varied configurations.