Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     DS HTML Composter - Annoying behaviour?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
DS HTML Composter - Annoying behaviour?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Should I be annoyed by the following behaviour of HTML Composer:

You add a bunch of different types of controls to the page. You set up default values, add multiple static values to drop-down boxes etc.

Then you point the Submit button to report, assigning parameters to the existing controls. All the defaults and static values that you previously added are thrown away - you end up with empty controls.

Should I be annoyed by this behaviour? Because I am.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You have to think "backwards" ... first create the report code, add it to the page and let the GUI create the all controls for each &variable in finds.

Then you style, assign defaults, list values and what not ...

The suffering does not end there of course as you've already found out Roll Eyes

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
What I find amazing and disappointing is that you really have only one shot at making your form work - the first time when you build it. Afterwards, changes are extremely difficult to do. Change parameter names, add new parameters, change the design - all these actions can be very hit and miss.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Here's another one. I like naming my controls and parameters the same so that they're easier to pair up. This seems to work without issues for all the control types I've used so far - except sliders.

Sliders are made up of 5 components, though only one is bound to a parameter - the others are there for the mechanics of a slider.

main control id: slider1
left arrow id: slider1_downarrow
etc.

I tried changing the id of the main control to the parameter it is bound to, and the screen stopped working. It appears that you must change the names of all 5 components if you want the screen to work.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Oh brother! Roll Eyes

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Expert
posted Hide Post
An intelligent GUI would change the prefix of these components that make up the control.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
ARGH!

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:

What I find amazing and disappointing is that you really have only one shot at making your form work - the first time when you build it.

When Francis said that - all of a sudden I feel a bit better! I have never gotten a form to work, because I always try to tweek it later, and can't make it do what I want it to. I was wondering how everyone else is able to use this tool, and I can't.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I spent hours today in HTML Composer redoing a pile of work because I *may* have inadvertently pointed the submit button to the wrong report. While re-pointing the submit button to a fex, when the parameters are assigned to existing controls - all the characteristics disappear - static values added to drop-down lists gone; dynamic external fexes assigned to load drop-down lists gone; radio button values gone...

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As Waz wisely said ... HTML Composter! Roll Eyes