Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Saving burst value as an amper variable.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Saving burst value as an amper variable.
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a report which has to burst by company and then loop through the list of company's contracts and display detail sections for each contract. The list of contracts a company can have varies. Is it possible to save the burst value as an amper variable so that I can use it in WHERE to find the no of contracts to loop through. I have created a compound PDF report with burst and looping logic and it works fine when all the companies have the same no. contracts (in other words, constant no. for looping). I checked related previous posts and couldn't find what I need.
Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CT,

7.6.9, XP

Posts: 60 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 19, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If I understnad this correctly, you could do a "pre-process" which counts the number of contracts (sum cnt.contracts) by company, hold that in a file, then spin thru that file via DM -READ and capture the company and number_of_contracts into variables and use thoses vaule to loop through as required.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. So, if I a create a hold file with company and no. of contracts and use DM -READ in my template, does it read the next value from the hold file everytime it bursts? What I am wondering is whether the hold file would be open thru the bursting session to read the next value instead of getting the first value every time it burst.

7.6.9, XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Use the NOCLOSE option on your -READ statement.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I will give it a try.
On a second thought, is there a system or some kind of variable that holds the burst counter? Then I can DEFINE a COMPANYCTR in my data extract hold file and use something similar to the code below.

TABLE FILE TESTCTR
PRINT DST.CONTRACTNAME
WHERE COMPANYCTR EQ &burstCtr;
ON TABLE SAVE AS HCNTRCNT
END

-SET &CONTRACTCNT = &LINES;

7.6.9, XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think you would have to calculate that yourself. For example, you could use the loop counter you use for your -REPEAT loop.

It sounds like you might want to visit the Dialogue Manager chapter of the Developing Reporting Applications manual and check out all the neat things you can do with -REPEAT and -READ.

You can just play around with the DM part with ECHO on and some -TYPEs to see what goes on. That might give you a better idea of what you have to do.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I tried creating that using -REPEAT. The problem is, when the report bursts, it resets the counter. With each burst value, I get the count for the first company. The bad part is, the ECHO shows debug messages for the last report and I don't know whether there is any way to see the ECHO for all the previous burst values.

7.6.9, XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine what you are doing. You have to save your company and burst values in a separate file that you can -READ NOCLOSE in your -REPEAT loop.

Maybe if you posted the architecture code of your program, i.e. the DM, without the specific report detail or stylesheet of your report (but include the BYs), it would be easier to understand what you are doing.

Ginny

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking there's got to be a much easier way to get what you need, but like Ginny, and having a time trying to understand what exactly it is you need.

If all you need is a summary(contract) line and then detail, try an extra join, put your summary information into a subhead line and then PRINT the columns you need in the detail.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I will try to explain thru CAR example.
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
     DEALER_COST
     RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
ON TABLE HOLD AS HCAR1
END

DEFINE FILE HCAR1
COUNTRYCNT/I5=
IF COUNTRY EQ LAST COUNTRY
THEN COUNTRYCNT
ELSE COUNTRYCNT + 1;
END

TABLE FILE HCAR1
PRINT
	COUNTRY
	CAR
     DEALER_COST
     RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRYCNT
END

1. I want to burst by country
2. Each report will have a summary page with the list of cars, and then it has to show the graph and detail sections for car 1, graph and detail sections for car 2 etc. I am creating PAGELAYOUT and COMPONENT on the fly based on no. of cars each country has. I have to do it this way because we need the graph and detail sections for a specific car in one page.
The problem I have is finding the no. cars each country has. I have setup the &countryCtr and it gets the no. of cars for the first country. When it bursts, it resets the &countryCtr to 1 again instead of incrementing and getting the second one, it gets the no. of cars for the first country.
I have it working fine with bursting and looping when I make no. of cars a constant.

I can try to create a complete example with CAR but it might take me some time.
Thank you so much every one for all the suggestions.

7.6.9, XP

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Ok, I have created a complete example using CAR file. It has six files; car-xtr.fex, car-sum.fex, car-det-gph.fex, car-det1.fex, car-det2.fex, template.car.fex.
I have the code for each of these files below. Please save them with those file names and run template-car.fex.
It bursts by country and then loops through the list of cars for each country and displays graph and detail sections on one page for each car.
Right now I have -SET &carCtr = 2; in template-car file. If you comment that, it doesn't get the car count for each country. Though I am using counters here to keep track of the burst values, I am open to any other methods which gives me the burst value. We have a bunch of high profile reports which needs this report structure and I hope somebody will have a solution. Thank you so much!!

-* File template_car
-SET &&countryCtr = 0;
-TYPE &&countryCtr

-INCLUDE CAR-XTR

-SET &&countryCtr = &&countryCtr + 1;
-TYPE &&countryCtr

TABLE FILE HCAR2
PRINT DST.CAR
WHERE COUNTRYCNT EQ &&countryCtr;
ON TABLE SAVE AS HCARCNT
END

-SET &carCtr = &LINES;
-TYPE &carCtr

-SET &carCtr = 2;

SET HTMLARCHIVE=ON
COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
UNITS=IN, $
SECTION=section1, LAYOUT=ON, METADATA='0.5^0.5^0.5^0.5', MERGE=ON, ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT, PAGESIZE=Letter, $

-SET &LAYOUTNUM = 1;
PAGELAYOUT=&LAYOUTNUM, NAME='Page layout &LAYOUTNUM', text='Page layout &LAYOUTNUM', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=1.0, $

COMPONENT='report1', TEXT='report1', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(0.5 1.000), DIMENSION=(* *), $

-SET &carLoopCtr = 0;
-REPEAT LAYLOOP &carCtr TIMES
-SET &carLoopCtr = &carLoopCtr + 1;
-SET &LAYOUTNUM = &LAYOUTNUM + 1;
-SET &GPHNUM = &carLoopCtr + 1 ;
-SET &RPTNUM = &carLoopCtr + 2;
-SET &REPORTNUM = &carLoopCtr + 3;

PAGELAYOUT=&LAYOUTNUM, NAME='Page layout &LAYOUTNUM', text='Page layout &LAYOUTNUM', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=1.0, $
COMPONENT='graph&GPHNUM', TEXT='graph&GPHNUM', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(1 1.000), DIMENSION=(* *), $
COMPONENT='report&RPTNUM', TEXT='report&RPTNUM', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(+0.000 +1.8), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='graph&GPHNUM', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, $
COMPONENT='rep&REPORTNUM', TEXT='rep&REPORTNUM', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(+0.000 +0.0), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='report&RPTNUM', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, $

-LAYLOOP

END

-*Summary graph
SET COMPONENT='report1'
-INCLUDE car-sum

-*Detail graph and detail reports times number of cars per country
-SET &carLoopCtr = 0;
-REPEAT RPTLOOP &carCtr TIMES
-SET &carLoopCtr = &carLoopCtr + 1;
-SET &GPHNUM = &carLoopCtr + 1 ;
-SET &RPTNUM = &carLoopCtr + 2;
-SET &REPORTNUM = &carLoopCtr + 3;

SET COMPONENT='graph&GPHNUM'
-INCLUDE CAR-DET-GPH

SET COMPONENT='report&RPTNUM'
-INCLUDE CAR-DET1

SET COMPONENT='rep&REPORTNUM'
-INCLUDE CAR-DET2
-RPTLOOP

COMPOUND END

-------------------------------------------------

-* File car-xtr.fex

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
     DEALER_COST
     RETAIL_COST
     SALES
  MAX.BODYTYPE
  MAX.SEATS
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
WHERE COUNTRY NE 'FRANCE';
ON TABLE HOLD AS HCAR1
END

DEFINE FILE HCAR1
COUNTRYCNT/I5=
THEN COUNTRYCNT
ELSE COUNTRYCNT + 1;

CARCNT/I5=
THEN (IF CAR EQ LAST CAR
   THEN CARCNT
   ELSE CARCNT + 1)
ELSE 1;
END

TABLE FILE HCAR1
PRINT
 MAX.COUNTRYCNT
 MAX.CARCNT
 MODEL
 DEALER_COST
 RETAIL_COST
 SALES
 BODYTYPE
 SEATS
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
ON TABLE HOLD AS HCAR2
END

-------------------------------------------------------

-* File car-sum.fex

TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM
  DEALER_COST
     RETAIL_COST
     SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR

HEADING
"Country Summary Report"
" "
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF

ON TABLE SET STYLE *

TYPE=REPORT, FONT='ARIAL', SIZE=8, GRID=OFF, $
ENDSTYLE

END

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-* File car-det-gph.fex
GRAPH FILE HCAR2
SUM DEALER_COST
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY MODEL
WHERE CARCNT EQ &carLoopCtr;

ON GRAPH HOLD AS HOLD FORMAT SVG
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHDEFAULT OFF
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHEDIT SERVER
ON GRAPH SET GRMERGE ADVANCED
ON GRAPH SET GRMULTIGRAPH 1
ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
ON GRAPH SET VZERO ON
ON GRAPH SET GRLEGEND 0
ON GRAPH SET GRXAXIS 1
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 6
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 3
ON GRAPH SET UNITS INCHES
ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH PIESINGL
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE *

setTemplateFile("/images/tdg/template/IBITrueColors.txt");
setReportParsingErrors(false);
setSelectionEnableMove(false);
setPieFeelerTextDisplay(1);
setLegendPosition(2);
setDisplay(getPieLabel(),false);
setPlace(false);
setPlaceResize(getPieSliceLabel(),0);
setFontName(getPieSliceLabel(),"Arial");
setFontName(getLegendText(),"Arial");
setFontName(getSubtitle(),"Arial");
setTextString(getTitle(),"");
setTextString(getSubtitle(),"Car Detail Graph");
setDisplay(getSubtitle(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getSubtitle(),true);
setFontSizeInPoints(getSubtitle(),8);
setFontStyle(getSubtitle(),0);
setPlaceResize(getLegendText(),0);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getLegendText(),true);
setFontSizeInPoints(getLegendText(),6);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getPieSliceLabel(),true);
setFontSizeInPoints(getPieSliceLabel(),6);
setFillColor(getChartBackground(),new Color(255,255,255));
setTransparentBorderColor(getChartBackground(),true);
setPieDepth(0);
setPieTilt(0);
setOtherPieLabelDisplay(0);
setPieLabelDisplay(0);
setTextFormatPreset(getPieSliceLabel(),1);
setLegendTextAutosize(true);
ENDSTYLE
END

END
TABLE FILE HCAR2
" "
SUM
COMPUTE CNTR/I4 = CNTR + 1; NOPRINT
COMPUTE CNTR2/A4 = IF &FOCGRAPHCNT EQ 1 THEN ' ' ELSE FTOA(CNTR-1,'(F4)','A4'); NOPRINT
COMPUTE IMG/A18 = 'HOLD'||LJUST(4,CNTR2,'A4')|| '.svg';NOPRINT
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=HEADING, IMAGE=(IMG), position=(-1 0), $
TYPE=REPORT,PAGE-LOCATION=OFF,$
END

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-* File car-det1.fex

TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM
  DEALER_COST
  RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR
BY MODEL

HEADING
"Car Detail-1 Report"
" "
ON TABLE NOTOTAL

ON TABLE SET STYLE *

ENDSTYLE

END

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-* File car-det1.fex

TABLE FILE HCAR2
PRINT
  BODYTYPE
  SEATS
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR
BY MODEL

HEADING
"Car Detail-2 Report"
" "
ON TABLE NOTOTAL

ON TABLE SET STYLE *

ENDSTYLE

END

7.6.9, XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Without actually saving and running your six programs, please give this a try:

Wherever you have an END statement, add a -RUN statement right on the next line, e.g.:

TABLE FILE HCAR2
PRINT DST.CAR
ON TABLE SAVE AS HCARCNT
END
-RUN

-SET &carCtr = &LINES;
-TYPE &carCtr

Without the -RUN, the Dialogue Manager code -SET gets executed before the TABLE FILE HCAR2.

I'm not guaranteeing this will work, but I *think* it will solve the problem.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Sorry, it didn't work.
It gets &&countryCtr as 1 for the first country (England) and then sets &carCtr as 3 which is correct. But when it burst by the next country (ITALY), it resets &&countryCtr as 1 again instead of retaining previous value and incrementing by 1. So, for all the countries, it gets the no. of cars as the no. of cars for the first country.

I need to know the burst value or some kind of counter to get the no. of cars for each country.

Thanks.

7.6.9, XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think this needs to be within the REPEAT loop, otherwise it only gets executed once.

TABLE FILE HCAR2
PRINT DST.CAR
ON TABLE SAVE AS HCARCNT
END
-RUN

-SET &carCtr = &LINES;

As well, pay attention to this Focalpoint posting, Observations on PDF Layout Painter. After I added -RUN everywhere I thought it should be, I got the following errors running your code:

(FOC3300) BY Value: (ITALY) MISMATCHED IN MERGED REPORT
 (FOC3300) BY Value: (JAPAN) MISMATCHED IN MERGED REPORT
 (FOC3300) BY Value: (W GERMANY) MISMATCHED IN MERGED REPORT
 (FOC3296) Error found in Coordinated Compound Report: At Component report5

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This is the result of the execution of the code, with SET MSG=ON:

========== countryCtr: 0 ==========
 TABLE FILE CAR
 SUM
 DEALER_COST
 RETAIL_COST
 SALES
 MAX.BODYTYPE
 MAX.SEATS
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 WHERE COUNTRY NE 'FRANCE';
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HCAR1
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=       17  LINES=     17
 DEFINE FILE HCAR1
 COUNTRYCNT/I5=
 THEN COUNTRYCNT
 ELSE COUNTRYCNT + 1;
 CARCNT/I5=
 THEN (IF CAR EQ LAST CAR
 THEN CARCNT
 ELSE CARCNT + 1)
 ELSE 1;
 END
 TABLE FILE HCAR1
 PRINT
 MAX.COUNTRYCNT
 MAX.CARCNT
 MODEL
 DEALER_COST
 RETAIL_COST
 SALES
 BODYTYPE
 SEATS
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HCAR2
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=       17  LINES=     17
 ========== countryCtr: 1 ==========
 TABLE FILE HCAR2
 PRINT DST.CAR
 WHERE COUNTRYCNT EQ 1;
 ON TABLE SAVE AS HCARCNT
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        4  LINES=      3
 ALPHANUMERIC RECORD NAMED  HCARCNT
 0 FIELDNAME                         ALIAS         FORMAT        LENGTH
 CAR                               E02           A16            16
 CAR                               E02           A16            16
 TOTAL                                                          32
 ========== carCtr:        3 ==========
 SET HTMLARCHIVE=ON
 UNITS=IN, $
 SECTION=section1, LAYOUT=ON, METADATA='0.5^0.5^0.5^0.5', MERGE=ON, ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT, PAGESIZE=Letter, $
 PAGELAYOUT=1, NAME='Page layout 1', text='Page layout 1', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=1.0, $
 COMPONENT='report1', TEXT='report1', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(0.5 1.000), DIMENSION=(* *), $
 ++++++++++ LAYLOOP Start - carLoopCtr: 1 ++++++++++
 PAGELAYOUT=2, NAME='Page layout 2', text='Page layout 2', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=1.0, $
 COMPONENT='graph2', TEXT='graph2', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(1 1.000), DIMENSION=(* *), $
 COMPONENT='report3', TEXT='report3', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(+0.000 +1.8), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='graph2', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, $
 COMPONENT='rep4', TEXT='rep4', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(+0.000 +0.0), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='report3', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, $
 ++++++++++ LAYLOOP End - carLoopCtr: 1 ++++++++++
 ++++++++++ LAYLOOP Start - carLoopCtr: 2 ++++++++++
 PAGELAYOUT=3, NAME='Page layout 3', text='Page layout 3', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=1.0, $
 COMPONENT='graph3', TEXT='graph3', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(1 1.000), DIMENSION=(* *), $
 COMPONENT='report4', TEXT='report4', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(+0.000 +1.8), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='graph3', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, $
 COMPONENT='rep5', TEXT='rep5', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(+0.000 +0.0), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='report4', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, $
 ++++++++++ LAYLOOP End - carLoopCtr: 2 ++++++++++
 ++++++++++ LAYLOOP Start - carLoopCtr: 3 ++++++++++
 PAGELAYOUT=4, NAME='Page layout 4', text='Page layout 4', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=1.0, $
 COMPONENT='graph4', TEXT='graph4', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(1 1.000), DIMENSION=(* *), $
 COMPONENT='report5', TEXT='report5', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(+0.000 +1.8), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='graph4', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, $
 COMPONENT='rep6', TEXT='rep6', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(+0.000 +0.0), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='report5', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, $
 ++++++++++ LAYLOOP End - carLoopCtr: 3 ++++++++++
 END
 SET COMPONENT='report1'
 TABLE FILE HCAR2
 SUM
 DEALER_COST
 RETAIL_COST
 SALES
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 HEADING
 "Country Summary Report"
 " "
 ON TABLE NOTOTAL
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 ENDSTYLE
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=       17  LINES=      9
 ++++++++++ RPTLOOP Start - carLoopCtr: 1 ++++++++++
 SET COMPONENT='graph2'
 GRAPH FILE HCAR2
 SUM DEALER_COST
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 BY MODEL
 WHERE CARCNT EQ 1;
 ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
 ON GRAPH SET VZERO ON
 ON GRAPH SET GRLEGEND 0
 ON GRAPH SET GRXAXIS 1
 ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 6
 ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 3
 setLegendPosition(2);
 setPlace(false);
 setPieDepth(0);
 setPieTilt(0);
 setPieLabelDisplay(0);
 ENDSTYLE
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN GRAPH=        7  PLOT POINTS=      7
 SVG FILE SAVED ...
 END
 TABLE FILE HCAR2
 " "
 SUM
 COMPUTE CNTR2/A4 = IF        4 EQ 1 THEN ' ' ELSE FTOA(CNTR-1,'(F4)','A4'); NOPRINT
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 ON COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=       17  LINES=      4
 SET COMPONENT='report3'
 TABLE FILE HCAR2
 SUM
 DEALER_COST
 RETAIL_COST
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 WHERE CARCNT EQ 1;
 HEADING
 "Car Detail-1 Report"
 " "
 ON TABLE NOTOTAL
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 ENDSTYLE
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        7  LINES=      7
 SET COMPONENT='rep4'
 TABLE FILE HCAR2
 PRINT
 BODYTYPE
 SEATS
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 WHERE CARCNT EQ 1;
 HEADING
 "Car Detail-2 Report"
 " "
 ON TABLE NOTOTAL
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 ENDSTYLE
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        7  LINES=      7
 ++++++++++ RPTLOOP End - carLoopCtr: 1 ++++++++++
 ++++++++++ RPTLOOP Start - carLoopCtr: 2 ++++++++++
 SET COMPONENT='graph3'
 GRAPH FILE HCAR2
 SUM DEALER_COST
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 BY MODEL
 WHERE CARCNT EQ 2;
 ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
 ON GRAPH SET VZERO ON
 ON GRAPH SET GRLEGEND 0
 ON GRAPH SET GRXAXIS 1
 ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 6
 ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 3
 setLegendPosition(2);
 setPlace(false);
 setPieDepth(0);
 setPieTilt(0);
 setPieLabelDisplay(0);
 ENDSTYLE
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN GRAPH=        9  PLOT POINTS=      9
 SVG FILE SAVED ...
 END
 TABLE FILE HCAR2
 " "
 SUM
 COMPUTE CNTR2/A4 = IF        4 EQ 1 THEN ' ' ELSE FTOA(CNTR-1,'(F4)','A4'); NOPRINT
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 ON COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 END
 SET COMPONENT='report4'
 TABLE FILE HCAR2
 SUM
 DEALER_COST
 RETAIL_COST
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 WHERE CARCNT EQ 2;
 HEADING
 "Car Detail-1 Report"
 " "
 ON TABLE NOTOTAL
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 ENDSTYLE
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        9  LINES=      9
 SET COMPONENT='rep5'
 TABLE FILE HCAR2
 PRINT
 BODYTYPE
 SEATS
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 WHERE CARCNT EQ 2;
 HEADING
 "Car Detail-2 Report"
 " "
 ON TABLE NOTOTAL
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 ENDSTYLE
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        9  LINES=      9
 ++++++++++ RPTLOOP End - carLoopCtr: 2 ++++++++++
 ++++++++++ RPTLOOP Start - carLoopCtr: 3 ++++++++++
 SET COMPONENT='graph4'
 GRAPH FILE HCAR2
 SUM DEALER_COST
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 BY MODEL
 WHERE CARCNT EQ 3;
 ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
 ON GRAPH SET VZERO ON
 ON GRAPH SET GRLEGEND 0
 ON GRAPH SET GRXAXIS 1
 ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 6
 ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 3
 setLegendPosition(2);
 setPlace(false);
 setPieDepth(0);
 setPieTilt(0);
 setPieLabelDisplay(0);
 ENDSTYLE
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN GRAPH=        1  PLOT POINTS=      1
 SVG FILE SAVED ...
 END
 TABLE FILE HCAR2
 " "
 SUM
 COMPUTE CNTR2/A4 = IF        1 EQ 1 THEN ' ' ELSE FTOA(CNTR-1,'(F4)','A4'); NOPRINT
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 ON COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 END
 SET COMPONENT='report5'
 TABLE FILE HCAR2
 SUM
 DEALER_COST
 RETAIL_COST
 BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 WHERE CARCNT EQ 3;
 HEADING
 "Car Detail-1 Report"
 " "
 ON TABLE NOTOTAL
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
 ENDSTYLE
 END
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        1  LINES=      1
 (FOC3300) BY Value: (ITALY) MISMATCHED IN MERGED REPORT
 (FOC3300) BY Value: (JAPAN) MISMATCHED IN MERGED REPORT
 (FOC3300) BY Value: (W GERMANY) MISMATCHED IN MERGED REPORT
 (FOC3296) Error found in Coordinated Compound Report: At Component report5
 Compound Report is TERMINATING.....

You might want to review this result to see if it is doing what you're expecting it to do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,
Thanks for for trying it out. The errors are because, the countryCtr value is 1 no matter what the burst value is (Italy, Japan, or W Germany). I wanted the &&countryCtr to increment by 1 every time it bursts which is not happening and that is the real problem. The MISMATCHED IN MERGED REPORT errors are due to the fact that it's expecting 3 cars (which is the count for England) for other countries and they just have 2 cars each. You can see that if you hard code the value of &carCtr in template-car.fex as in my prvious posting. The report runs fine with 2 cars for each country.
-SET &carCtr = 2;

But I want the no. of cars to change based on the country. So, I need the &&countryCtr to increment by 1 every time it bursts.
========== countryCtr: 1 ==========
TABLE FILE HCAR2
PRINT DST.CAR
WHERE COUNTRYCNT EQ 1;
ON TABLE SAVE AS HCARCNT
[/CODE]

Thanks again!

7.6.9, XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
This is why I previously stated:

quote:
I think this needs to be within the REPEAT loop, otherwise it only gets executed once.

TABLE FILE HCAR2
PRINT DST.CAR
ON TABLE SAVE AS HCARCNT
END
-RUN

-SET &carCtr = &LINES;

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,
I tried adding the -REPEAT loop in template-car.fex. Basically, I did

-REPEAT COUNTRYLOOP 4 TIMES

-SET &&countryCtr = &&countryCtr + 1;
-TYPE &&countryCtr

TABLE FILE HCAR2
PRINT DST.CAR
ON TABLE SAVE AS HCARCNT
END
-RUN

-SET &carCtr = &LINES;

-*rest of the code in between

COMPOUND END

-COUNTRYLOOP

I see the &&countryCtr getting incremented in ECHO message, but I get MISMATCHED IN MERGED REPORT errors and I don't know why. The same code works if I hard code &carCtr = 2. I just don't know why it fails when it gets the third car for England. I don't know whether it is because of using REPEAT with bursting? Are there any other ways of getting this compound pdf report structure? I truly appreciate any help with this.
Thanks.

7.6.9, XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
CT, please take a look at the following code. I have worked out the looping by country and car. Determining the number of cars per country is done outside of the main loops - the compound report syntax didn't like a TABLE FILE inside the loops, instead &carCount1 &carCount2, etc variables are created - one for each Country.

Try running just this code to see the loops in action. Then carefully add the compound layout syntax in the correct areas of the code. This is all I can do for the moment

-* File template_car

-SET &ECHO=ON;

SET HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY
SET HOLDFORMAT=ALPHA
SET ASNAMES=ON
SET PAGE=NOLEAD
-RUN

-*-- Prepare data for compound report ----------------------
-INCLUDE CAR-XTR

-*-- Determine the number of countries to process ----------
TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM COUNTRY
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD
END
-RUN

-SET &countryCount = &LINES;

-TYPE ========== countryCount: &countryCount ==========

-*-- Determine the number of cars per country to process ---
TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM
MAX.CARCNT
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE SAVE AS HCARCOUNT
END
-RUN

-SET &CTR = 1;

-REPEAT LOOP0 FOR &CTR FROM 1 TO &countryCount
-READ HCARCOUNT &carCount.&CTR.I5.
-TYPE ===== carCount for country &CTR : &carCount.&CTR =====
-LOOP0

-SET &countryCtr = 1;

-*-- Compound Layout report - Start ----------------------------------------------------------------

-* Beginning of Compound Layout syntax goes here

-*-- LOOP1 - Process each country --------------------------------------------------------
-REPEAT LOOP1 &countryCount TIMES

-TYPE ========== countryCtr: &countryCtr ==========

TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
HEADING
"COUNTRY REPORT FOR COUNTRY: <COUNTRY"
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
WHERE COUNTRYCNT EQ &countryCtr
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, COLOR=BLUE, STYLE=BOLD, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

-SET &carCtr = 1;

-*-- LOOP2 - Process each car --------------------------------------------------
-REPEAT LOOP2 &carCount.&carCtr TIMES

TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM
SALES
DEALER_COST
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR     NOPRINT
BY MODEL
HEADING
"REPORT 1 FOR COUNTRY: <COUNTRY / CAR: <CAR"
WHERE CARCNT EQ &carCtr
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, COLOR=RED, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM
SALES
RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
HEADING
"REPORT 2 FOR COUNTRY: <COUNTRY / CAR: <CAR"
WHERE CARCNT EQ &carCtr
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, COLOR=GREEN, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

-SET &carCtr = &carCtr + 1;

-*-- LOOP2 - End ---------------------------------------------------------------
-LOOP2

-SET &countryCtr = &countryCtr + 1;

-*-- LOOP1 - End -------------------------------------------------------------------------
-LOOP1

-*-- Compound Layout report - End ------------------------------------------------------------------

-* End of Compound Layout syntax goes here

-RUN

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis, Thank you so much! I will try this code and post the results..

7.6.9, XP

Gold member
posted Hide Post
It looks like the compound pdf doesn't like indexed variables. I get prompt for carCount.&countryCtr when I run it. Before adding compound PDF syntax, I was able to run fine.

-* template-car.fex

SET HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY
SET HOLDFORMAT=ALPHA
SET ASNAMES=ON
SET PAGE=NOLEAD
-RUN

-*-- Prepare data for compound report ----------------------
-INCLUDE CAR-XTR

-*-- Determine the number of countries to process ----------
TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM COUNTRY
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD
END
-RUN

-SET &countryCount = &LINES;

-TYPE ========== countryCount: &countryCount ==========

-*-- Determine the number of cars per country to process ---
TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM
MAX.CARCNT
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE SAVE AS HCARCOUNT
END
-RUN

-SET &CTR = 1;

-REPEAT LOOP0 FOR &CTR FROM 1 TO &countryCount
-READ HCARCOUNT &carCount.&CTR.I5.
-TYPE ===== carCount for country &CTR : &carCount.&CTR =====
-LOOP0
-RUN

-SET &countryCtr = 1;

-*-- Compound Layout report - Start ----------------------------------------------------------------

SET HTMLARCHIVE=ON
UNITS=IN, $

-*-- LOOP1 - Process each country --------------------------------------------------------
-REPEAT LOOP1 &countryCount TIMES

-SET &LAYOUTNUM = 1;

COMPONENT='report&countryCtr', TEXT='report&countryCtr', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(0.5 1.000), DIMENSION=(* *), $

-SET &carCtr = 1;

-*-- LOOP2 - Process each car --------------------------------------------------
-REPEAT LOOP2 &carCount.&countryCtr TIMES

-SET &LAYOUTNUM = &LAYOUTNUM + 1;
-SET &RPTNUM = &carCtr + 1;
-SET &REPORTNUM = &carCtr + 1;

COMPONENT='report&RPTNUM', TEXT='report&RPTNUM', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(1 1.000), DIMENSION=(* *), $
COMPONENT='rep&REPORTNUM', TEXT='rep&REPORTNUM', TOC-LEVEL=2, POSITION=(+0.000 +0.0), DIMENSION=(* *), RELATIVE-TO='report&RPTNUM', RELATIVE-POINT=BOTTOM-LEFT, POSITION-POINT=TOP-LEFT, $

-*-- LOOP2 - End ---------------------------------------------------------------
-LOOP2

-*-- LOOP1 - End -------------------------------------------------------------------------
-LOOP1
END

-SET &countryCtr = 1;
-*-- Compound Layout report - Components - Start----------------------------------------------------------

-*-- RPTLOOP1 - Process each country --------------------------------------------------------
-REPEAT RPTLOOP1 &countryCount TIMES

SET COMPONENT='report&countryCtr'

TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
HEADING
"COUNTRY REPORT FOR COUNTRY: <COUNTRY"
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, COLOR=BLUE, STYLE=BOLD, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

-SET &carCtr = 1;

-*-- RPTLOOP2 - Process each car --------------------------------------------------
-REPEAT RPTLOOP2 &carCount.&countryCtr TIMES

-SET &RPTNUM = &carCtr + 1;
-SET &REPORTNUM = &carCtr + 1;

SET COMPONENT='report&RPTNUM'

TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM
SALES
DEALER_COST
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR     NOPRINT
BY MODEL
HEADING
"REPORT 1 FOR COUNTRY: <COUNTRY / CAR: <CAR"
WHERE CARCNT EQ &carCtr
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, COLOR=RED, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

SET COMPONENT='rep&REPORTNUM'

TABLE FILE HCAR2
SUM
SALES
RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
HEADING
"REPORT 2 FOR COUNTRY: <COUNTRY / CAR: <CAR"
WHERE CARCNT EQ &carCtr
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, COLOR=GREEN, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

-RPTLOOP2

-RPTLOOP1

-*-- Compound Layout report - End ------------------------------------------------------------------

-* End of Compound Layout syntax goes here

COMPOUND END

-*-COUNTRYLOOP
-RUN

7.6.9, XP

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Since the compound PDF syntax doesn't like TABLE FILE or indexed variables in side the loop, I not sure what other options I have. Is that a bug with the COMPOUND PDF code? As some one suggested earlier in the thread, would pre process procedure work? I haven't created any pre process procedure before, but thinking of creating a procedure which creates an external file with no. of cars for each country and reading thru that file ... Any other ideas? Thank you so much.

7.6.9, XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
CT,

Where are you running this: "self-service" app, MRE, ReportCaster?

I ran the code exactly as you posted on Jun 12, 2009 09:15 as a fex in an app folder (as a self-service app) and I do not get any prompts for parameters, however I do get this error:

(FOC3296) Error found in Coordinated Compound Report: At Component report2
(FOC3303) Compound report COMPONENT out of order
Compound Report is TERMINATING.....

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I am running from DevStudio. We have upgraded to 7.6.9 last week.

7.6.9, XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
I ran it in DevStudio and it ran as I previously described.

Do you have parameter prompting on? This is a setting accessible here from the WebFOCUS Admin Console:

If IBIF_wfdescribe is set to ON, it could be the cause of the problem - I am not familiar with parameter prompting so I can't be of more help.

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I have used indexed variables in lot of my other reports and I don't get the prompt. Even with this file it runs fine before I add the copound pdf code. I get the prompt after adding the compound pdf code. So, I am not sure whether it's the setting.
Thanks.

7.6.9, XP

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,
Thank you very much for your suggestions. The prompting problem did get fixed by turning IBF_wfdescribe to OFF. We upgraded to 769 and that messed up some of the seetings prompting. I ended up working in my actual report using indexed variable for looping and seems like it's working.

7.6.9, XP