Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Define file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Define file
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hello,

I wanted to know what are the other ways to count/SUM a group of numbers in the Define section without using "SUM", since it is not allowed. Please see below for query:

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO COUNT THE DISTINCT CASENUMBERS. THANK YOU

DEFINE FILE TISCDATA
SUM
CNT.DST.CASENUMBER/I9C AS 'CASECNT3'

END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Should go back to your manual and training... cannot do
quote:
SUMCNT.DST.CASENUMBER/I9C AS 'CASECNT3'

in a DEFINE.

Seems that WF is still not 'fluid'...

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I under stand this cannot be done in a define. I wanted to know is there a work around method that is similar that can be done in a DEFINE.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
In the below code In order to do a count distinct, I need a SUM, but I need to use the PRINT to, is there any way I can use both or a work around.

TABLE FILE PSBASSGN
HEADING CENTER
"&SUB_ASG"
PRINT

UPLASTNAME AS ''

COMPUTE CASECNT3/D9= CNT.DST.CASENUMBER ;

I need this COMPUTE to work but it needs a SUM and I need the PRINT there, is there a way to use both or a work around.

Thank you

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
How come this cant be done, I am getting a "The field name is not recognized: CASECNT3" error, could someone please advise as to what I am doing wrong. Why cant you use a SUM and PRINT at the same time like this...

TABLE FILE  PSBASSGN
HEADING CENTER
"&SUB_ASG"
SUM 

CNT.DST.CASENUMBER/I9C AS 'CASECNT3'
PRINT

CASECNT3 AS 'Overdue'  

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
I can't resist replying ..

It looks like you are simply trying to count the number of distinct cases that are overdue

TABLE FILE  PSBASSGN
HEADING CENTER
"&SUB_ASG"
SUM 
CNT.DST.CASENUMBER/I9C AS 'Overdue'
WHERE DUE_DATE LT SOME_DATE
END

I also can't resist pointing out that WebFOCUS cannot be mastered in two months as you initally thought. This is fairly basic stuff - even I can handle it with my elderly brain. You should seriously try to persuade your employer to send you on a couple of the courses. Unfortunately, I think they will probably concentrate on the GUI these days, but that's better than nothing. And if you hunt around in used book stores you might even find an old FOCUS manual somewhere, which would help a lot.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As it is well known, in orer to learn quickly, one should explain slowly.
So:
1. Could you be a bit more explicit as to what you are aiming to do?
2. Do you have the PDF manuals of WebFOCUS, in particular "wf76crlang.pdf", which, once you studied it at length, would allow you to find the solution to your problem.
3. Have you ever followed some training? If not, I assure you that it helps.
4. A hint for you: look up "multi-set request", or, if you are a pure GUI (or should one say gooey) user, look up "sort groups".

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Quicklearner,

You can use Multi Verb to achieve that. WebFOCUS is a vast thing and it takes time to learn. If you need any online training or dedicated time for help, connect to me on ibiwebfocus1@gmail.com.

Thanks,
WebFOCUS Experts

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows
Excel, HTML, PDF, AHTML, PPT

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO COUNT THE DISTINCT CASENUMBERS. THANK YOU

No multi-verb request needed ....

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Or
TABLE FILE XXXX
COUNT DST.CASENUMBER/I9 AS 'Overdue'
WHERE ...
END

Many of the manuals are available for download on IBI's site. They can be hard to find.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I think we need to back up a few miles...

@Quicklearner
SUM is an abbriviation of SUMMARIZE ( not just SUM ).
e.g. it aggregates all values within the stated BY fields values.

It is not just aggregated, it's also displayed ( "printed" if you like ).

Within SUM you can use MAX. MIN. CNT. and even CNT.DST.
this tells WF what to do with all the values found within the same BY field values.

e.g.
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES AS 'All sales added up'
    CNT.DST.CAR AS 'unique number of cars'
    MAX.SEATS AS 'Maximum number of seats found'
BY  COUNTRY
END

my guess:

TABLE FILE PSBASSGN
SUM CNT.DST.CASENUMBER AS 'Overdue'
BY  UPLASTNAME AS ''
END

This will count the unique number of cases for each UPLASTNAME.

G'luck,
Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post