Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] ibfsrpc 'success' server response from IBIRS_action=run possible?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] ibfsrpc 'success' server response from IBIRS_action=run possible?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I am not a web developer but I'm trying to muddle my through issuing a series of restful requests to run a fex. Each request runs the same fex with a different parameter value. The fex file generates an Active HTML dashboard file.

I can successfully issue the request and get the fex to run, creating the HTML files in the app HTML folder, with a URL like this

http://servername:8080/ibi_app...&MY_PARAM_VAL=123456

The response from the server is as follows, which is correct since the fex is using app hold and saving the HTML file in an app directory.:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>WebFOCUS Message[42]:  NO EDA HTML Output</TITLE>
</Head>
<Body>
<HR><H3>
Your request did not return any output to display.<p>
Possible causes:<br>
- No data rows matched the specified selection criteria.<br>
- Output was directed to a destination such as a file or printer.<br>
- An error occurred during the parsing or running of the request.
</H3><HR>
<PRE>
<H5>
 0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=      273  LINES=    273
 0 HTML FILE SAVED ...
</H5>

I can test for errors, since when an error occurs, the ibfsrpc XML object is returned with the 'returncode' attribute which describes the error. My question is whether there is a way to have the same object returned when the fex runs successfully with a success code? I've seen it as follows, when a report caster schedule is submitted via restful call:

if(xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName('ibfsrpc')[0].getAttribute('returncode') == '10000') {
	 	alert('Report Submitted Successfully');
	} else {
		alert(xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName('ibfsrpc')[0].getAttribute('returncode') + ' - ' + xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName('ibfsrpc')[0].getAttribute('returndesc'));
 	}

Problem is I just get the HTML results shown first instead of the ibfsrpc XML with a successful return code like with the report caster call.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have an ibfsrpc object returned with IBIRS_action=run requests? Any info or suggestions much appreciated. I am trying to avoid having to parse that HTML that comes back on a successful run.

thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WF: WebFocus 8.0.02
InfoAssist, Dev Studio, Magnify, Portal/Dashboards, Mobile Favs
Data: DB2
Output: Multiple

Posts: 23 | Location: KC, MO | Registered: August 05, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Ryan,

This is a friendly follow up about your question - ibfsrpc 'success' server response from IBIRS_action=run possible?

I have asked our Focal Point technical group to review your post. It has been suggested that you open a case so that we can get more details of what it is you are trying to do within RESTful services. Can you please also provide a bit of a description as to why you are using this product and what you are trying accomplish with it.

Please share you resolution with us so that others can be informed as well.

Kindest regards,
Tamra Colangelo
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders Inc.

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5

Posts: 487 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 23, 2009Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

I had a similar problem. Not with RESTful but I think the solution is the same.

Have your code save the HOLD as needed.
Just add a 'dummy' output afterwards just to get a neat output. ( and probably a nice "success" xmlobj ).

Since I knew exactly how many lines my HOLD should be it was easy. But I think just checking it's not 0 will do in most situations.

APP HOLD SAVED_HOLDS
TABLE FILE XDATA
    SUM TURNOVER COSTS
    BY  YEAR
    BY  WEEK
    BY  STORE
ON TABLE HOLD H_XDATA
END
-RUN

-IF &LINES EQ 0 THEN CONTINUE ELSE GOTO L_SUCCESS;

-* no output -> error
-EXIT

-L_SUCCESS
TABLE FILE SYSCOLUM
	SUM TBNAME NOPRINT
HEADING
"Success with &LINES lines."
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
END

And there are many enhancements possible.
You could query H_XDATA and show content ( rowcounts / unique values ) as feedback.

Or you could query SYSCOLUM or other system tables to give some feedback on your HOLD-file.

Good luck,
Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post