Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     hiding master files from users in 7.6?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
hiding master files from users in 7.6?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Back when we had 7.1.3 we had set up edasprof files to limit what master files a user could see when they went into the report painter.

I found the original article we used to set this up at
http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde...min/customizemr4.htm

"... edit edasprof.prf or site.wfs to declare and set the &&IBI_IF_FILE variable to the procedure you just created.
For example in edasprof.prf:
-SET &&IBI_IF_FILE='c:\wfexcludes\excludefiles.fex';
"

Now, I'm having the worst trouble finding the edasprof files. I remember changing a user's edasprof file through a WF web-based config utility, but now I'm really lost.

I find only two edasprof files when I do a file search on the entire WF server.

Any ideas?

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

You can use your admin ID on the reporting server and modify EDASPRF.prf from Configuration Files...

OR

DISK:\IBI\SRV76\WFS gets you to the file...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason is looking for user-based edasprof.prf files, which I didn't know existed.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

They don't; User profiles, not edasprf, exist on the reporting server. There should be only 1 edasprf.prf...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Is there any way to create a setting for a user when they log in then?
maybe I'm getting things confused.

I just need to set the IBI_IF_FILE variable to a location for each user as they log in.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason, in 5.3.2, you can access the user profiles from WebFOCUS Server Console > Workspace > Edit Files > User Profile for ...

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
IBI_IF_FILE

Wots dat?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

On the reporting server, Configuration Files, thers is a User Profile where you add the Profile for User1, User2, etc. and put the Global there. Now, the caveat:

If user1 can only look at
WHERE NAME NOT LIKE 'GG%' - that's 1 fex:

User2:
WHERE NAME NOT LIKE 'HH%' - that's 2 fex's, etc...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
there it is Francis!
Under user profiles, you can edit the g:\ibi\profiles\*username*.prf to include what you want to hide the master files and to set a DBA password!

Now I can do it all in the file system and make it easy with a simple vbscript.

create a jhendrix.prf file
containing...

SET PASS=JHENDRIX
-SET &&IBI_IF_FILE='G:\ibi\apps\~user_showmaster\JHENDRIX_showmaster.fex'

where the _showmaster.fex file says "where EQ 'SALES_TABLE'"

Hoorah. Thanks!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As stated before, there is only one edasprof.prf which is the "server" configuration file where you specify the applications to be found in the server path. There are also user profiles where you can specify additional application paths whcih you only want to make available to certain users. (In the server console, go to Workspace > Configuration > User profiles.) Then you can include a statement like

APP APPENDPATH app1 app2

which makes those applications available to that user in their session. The profile name must match the sever name as authenticated to the WF server.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason, I am very curious/interested about this functionality you're using.

What does the following do exactly?
quote:

-SET &&IBI_IF_FILE='G:\ibi\apps\~user_showmaster\JHENDRIX_showmaster.fex'
[/code]
where the _showmaster.fex file says "where EQ 'SALES_TABLE'"

How does that limit which tables a user sees?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Jason's first thread pointed to the IBI doc; I read it for the first time today. I think it is an excellent way to limit users to the tables they have access to.

With this thread, I learned a lot...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
Francis, I'm not sure exactly how it used to work as it doesn't after we moved up to 7.6 or so.

I've got the following...
SET PASS = JKELLY
-SET &&IBI_IF_FILE='G:\ibi\apps\~user_showmaster\jkelly_showmaster.fex'

and the showmaster fex has one line...
WHERE NAME EQ 'ORDER_TRANSACTIONS_TBL'

I didn't check this functionality after the upgrade to 7.6 so I can't say it was the upgrade that caused this to stop working. Anyhow, the above doesn't work and I'm not seeing how we deviated from the document I posted earlier in this thread.
http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde...min/customizemr4.htm

For some reason, when we do a

TABLE FILE SYSTABLE
PRINT
NAME
-INCLUDE jkelly_showmaster.fex
END

it works fine, but now when it's in my users .prf file and I'm specifying that oddball IBI_IF_FILE it doesn't eliminate the files...

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

quote:
-SET &&IBI_IF_FILE='G:\ibi\apps\~user_showmaster\jkelly_showmaster.fex'

Semi-colon at the end of -SET?? Hopefully, just a typo...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
there was no ; at the end of either line, so I added the semicolon.

No difference. Good idea though!

Expert
posted Hide Post
OK,

Re: semi-colon: The SET PASS = JKELLY doesn't need one, just like SET ASNAMES = ON, NODATA = ' ' , PRINTPLUS = ON, etc.

The DM -SET does.

Try
? && to see if the Global is being set..

Did you logoff as you and login as the user?? I bet you did.

It may be just a setting in 7.6 vs. 7.1.3, might get IBI involved, may be a case opener???

As I stated above, 1st time seeing this, never implemented, but will implement on my next assignment in PA.!!!

So, Please keep us informed!!!

Like the idea alot...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
did a ? && and it is being set correctly.

I'm going to open a case and see what IBI has to say about the matter.

Expert
posted Hide Post
It doesn't look like this functionality exists any more.

I checked this document, WebFOCUS Managed Reporting Administrator's Manual 7.6.1 & higher and there is no mention of IBI_IF_FILE.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

This time only, I hope you're incorrect!!! lol

Found this on TechSupport:

Managing Metadata:
http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/tech/manuals...tters/wfn0704app.pdf

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/tech/manuals/wfnewsletters/wfn0704app.pdf

Unfortunately, that was in the 5.2 daze....

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yea, but, Jason is on 7.1.3..

Oh well, saw some potential there...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
No, we're on 7.6.2.

why would they eliminate such a functionality? that doesn't make any sense!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Found it...

WF 7.6.1 Security Administration...

Managing Master Files

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
ok, the darned thing works just fine for limiting what I can see in the developer studio, but it doesn't do anything for report painter!

That stinks, I need the exact opposite. The only folks who have developer studio need access to all files, the only folks who use report painter need access to a very few files!

frustrating.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

It's gotta work - get with IBI and let us know.

THX for all the hard work!!!

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This is working for me. How are you setting &&IBI_IF_FILE? And I am a little confused about what tools you are using. Report Painter is a component of Devstudio. For the user base that should see a filter MFD list, what report building tool are they using? (If they are using Report Painter then they DO have access to Developer Studio...)

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
As a clarification, the master files specified do not show up in developer studio's report painter, but they DOshow up in the WEB-BASED report assistant.

I think I may have gotten the terms backwards.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for bringing this subject to the fore, it's just the ticket for a current requirement!

It's a shame that restircting Apps folders works in Dev Studio but not MFDs Frowner My client has some "trainees" on cut down version of Dev Studio and it would be extremely useful to limit their MFD access as well as the App folders limitations we have in place.

Ah well ......

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony,

THANKS!! for keeping this going; I'd very much like to incorporate this. Hoping Jason will return with an answer, shortly!!!

As a side note, why aren't y'all utilizing Reporting Objects instead of getting a bunch of DS licenses???

Reporting Objects does not require DS, and, allows the users to build their reports off of WF created VIEWS, JOIN's to other VIEWs/TABLEs, etc.

Just wondering, it's really an excellent tool, an off-shoot of Report Painter...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Basic reason? Not my money and not me spending it Razzer - really though the licences are not that expensive (don't tell IB Wink) and the "trainees" have already been using the MRE interface and are now progressing onto a more "grown up" method of coding. Reporting Objects here are not really necessary as most if not all data sources are views anyway and are therefore quite restrictive etc. as per requirements.

Don't forget that Using the MRE tool requires licencing as well so no real difference in providing MRE analytical reporter or cut down DS.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post