Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Scheduling reports in Reportcaster

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Scheduling reports in Reportcaster
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Is there any other way than scheduling a job in ReportCaster? Like doing it with Control-M tool.
Actually we dont want to login to Reportcaster to schedule a job. Instead that we want to do that with script.

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Posts: 780 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 09, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
There is a dstrun (spelling may not be correct) however, it is my understanding that a caster job must be created in order to execute it using dstrun. Subtle details of the option, I will leave to the experts out there.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Leah,

DSTRUN is correct. I saw about that option in forum and I am trying to find is there any other way? Anyway, Thanks for your input.

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Don't let your imagination stop you! How would you like it to happen? Control-M ... no problem. Use JS to set up and event listener for that key combination, then submit a async task using AJAX that calls your own servlet or JSP page that schedules the job using the IBI supplied Report Caster API.

If you put your mind to it, that could probably be knocked out in a 2-4 days.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dhagen for your inputs.

My question is simple,

1. What are the pros and cons of ReportCaster and Control-M?

2. Which way you guys recommend? Why?

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Kamesh,

One quick answer about the difference between the Report Caster scheduler and using Control-M (or another third-party scheduler) is that the Caster scheduler initiates jobs purely based on the clock. Other schedulers can initiate Caster jobs based on events and include the Caster schedules in an operational "batch" process flow.

As Dhagen mentioned, the Caster scheduler, DSTRUN, and the Report Caster API are fully supported methods of initiating Caster schedules. The recommended method is the one which best suits your scheduling requirements. The DSTRUN option will require at least one FOCUS program to be included in the solution. The Caster API can be part of a pure Java-based solution.

One thing to keep in mind with DSTRUN is that when DSTRUN makes a call to Report Caster to initiate a job, it does not wait for the job to finish before providing a return code. The return code provided by DSTRUN is that of whether or not the Caster job was started (not whether or not the Caster job finished successfully or not).

There are several other threads on Focal Point relating to this topic. Do a search for Control-M and/or DSTRUN. Here are two that I found. There may be more.

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...1057331/m/9591008331

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...821037471#9821037471

Hope this helps!

Posts: 22 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: January 19, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: January 19, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sorry Kamesh, I completely miss read what you were asking. No more drinking while cruising focal point for me!

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Southern Belle. You gave me lot of information and shown me the stride to go.

Appreciate your help,

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat