Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Accessing partitioned datasets on the mainframe

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Accessing partitioned datasets on the mainframe
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Anyone familiar with partioned datasets on a mainframe?
I've been asked to migrate some partitioned datasets from the mainframe to flat files in Windows.
Trying to gather information about accessing them through WebFOCUS.

We have FOCUS installed on our mainframe.
The mainframe is setup as a Remote Server in WebFOCUS.

I know nothing about moving around in the mainframe.

In the past a mainframe developer had to create some datasets in mainframe FOCUS so that I could create data adapters in WebFOCUS to write my reports from.

What is the step by step process to access mainframe partitioned datasets through a Windows WebFOCUS environment?

What needs to be setup on the mainframe side?
What needs to be setup on the Windows WebFOCUS side?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
A separate output file for each member?

Using the -REMOTE syntax, you can DYNAM ALLOC each member separately to a generic master (you might be able to find a command to print all of the members into a file and then use them as input to a DM loop). The master (on the mainframe) would have a single field equal to the record length of the PDS members. Often this is 80 but it could be another record lenth.

Then issue a TABLE and do an ON TABLE PCHOLD to get it down to the Windows platform. You would need to APP HOLD or APP FI where you want the file to go on the Windows side.

You can find the syntax for the DYNAM command in a mainframe FOCUS manual, the chapter about the MVS environment.

I hope this is enough to get you started. I haven't done any of this in years but apparently I still have a few cells left that remember a little bit. Smiler

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What type of data is stored in the members of the datasets ?

As Ginny mentions PDF members are typically 80 byte record length, but may vary.

Ginny, it seems that FOCUS on MF is like riding a bike, it tends to get lost in the memory, just needing the right key to unlock it. Smiler

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Though I can't remember the technique I used to use to list all the members of a PDS.

Rather than worrying about the member contents for the mainframe piece, I'd still use a generic master, unless of course there were packed fields, then create custom masters when the files where down on the WF box.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how my testing goes.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post