Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] RC as a mail distributor

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] RC as a mail distributor
 Login/Join

posted
I’ve reviewed some of the existing threads and haven’t quiet found what I am looking for. I am wondering if the following is possible – I have several .pdf files on a server directory – 1 for each email recipient. I am wondering if I can use Report Caster as a mail distributor – pass the email address and the file name that corresponds to a particular email address – Report Caster pick the file up and emails it out.

If this is not possible, is there an alternative that can be suggested?

Any input would be appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus 7.6.10

Expert
posted Hide Post
There are mail server for that. But, you can use RC to create the PDFs and distribute them to various (or one) email address. Check out the Distibute tabs / Email / Dynamic Address List. I'm bursting 19 reports to various email addresses in one RC job chain, and bursting another 25,000 (yes 25 thousand) reports to FTP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Check out This Doc for more info...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug -

I don't need RC to create the PDF – I have a set of auto policies (in PDF format) that I want to send to a set of email addresses. The policies themselves are provided by an external system. I have the email address and I can distinguish which PDF policy corresponds to which address.

I want to take that address and file and basically email it out.

Could you elaborate on - 'There are mail server for that' - maybe that's the angle I need to look at this from.

Thanks.

WebFocus 7.6.10

Expert
posted Hide Post
Elaboration on - 'There are mail server for that': That would be found on a standard "Google Search".

However, you may be able to create a fex which reads the identification information for each pre-generated PDF and associate that with a list of email addresses and use that combination as a burst value and use RC to run that fex and burst it accordingly.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You might try using the EDAMAIL command. Info below is from IBI Tech Support (document says new in 7.7, but I believe we used it in an earlier release). It appears that your PDF files may need to reside in a WF app folder, although you might be able to use APP MAP to define a path to another location. You would need to create a focexec that cycles through your list of PDF files and e-mail recipients and executes EDAMAIL for each pair, hopefully by using &variable parameters in a repeating call. I haven't tried using EDAMAIL in ReportCaster, so don't know if it will work in that environment.

EDAMAIL is a new command that allows emails sent from a procedure with the content of a specific file included
in the body of the email or as an attachment.

EX EDAMAIL to, from, subject, flag, filetype, data

Where: to - Is the e-mail recipient.
         from - Is the e-mail sender.
      subject - Is the e-mail subject.
         flag - If flag is set to "a", the file is sent as an attachment.
                Otherwise, it is included in the body of the e-mail.
     filetype - Defines the data type, such as MASTER, FOCEXEC, HTML, and so on.
         data - Is the mail message body, or the [app/]filename with the mail content.

Example:  EX EDAMAIL bob.example@yahoo.com,,edamail test,A,PDF,app/pdf_file_name

For more information, please refer to the following manual: "WebFOCUS New
Features Version 7 Release 7" (DN4500997.0510) at:
http://documentation.ibi.com/m...f_77/77snf/77snf.pdf

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll try both recommendations and see which I am able to implement successfully.

I appreciate the input and will provide feedback.

Thanks.

WebFocus 7.6.10

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan, EDAMAIL requires access to DOS commands, right? Many companies shut down (as we have done here). So, what now?