Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Conversion from Cognos to WebFocus

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Conversion from Cognos to WebFocus
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hi,

We're asked to convert a certain application from Cognos to Webfocus. I guess we'll be able to manage converting the reporting code. A completely different story is converting the cognos cubes that are being used in the app to something outside of cognos. At this moment the cubes are built on a regular basis, and every time from scratch.

Does anyone have any idea's, suggestions, experience, do's & dont's to share with me?

Thanks in advance.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hey GamP,

We're about to begin the reverse operation, WebFOCUS to Cognos! Frowner Yes, I know, not ideal but as I only supply the consultancy and not make the decisions on what S/W the Client uses, I'll just supply as they ask and then relieve them of my fees Wink At least Congos GUIs seem to be slicker Music

In about five years time I hope to be in the position to help them move back again - once they've seen some sense Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You probably will not need the Cubes if you move to WebFOCUS. You will be able to do all the reports live from the source data. Then they will always be up to date and not out of date like the cubes.

Posts: 140 | Location: Adelaide South Australia | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
True, One option is to go directly against the source data which is used to create the Cube.

The issues with this are:
- Data may change.
- Increase load on servers.
An overnight ETL vs. hitting the data during the day.
- Speed in reporting
Going directly against source data may take longer than the cube.

What you may want to do is to create an ETL into WebFocus databases. Based on your analysis of their reporting requirements you'll have to create a structure which will replace the cube.

Another alternative is to report directly against the Cube. Now if your shop is trying to eliminate Cognos, you should consider this as only a phase until you can schedule in a build of an ETL into a WebFocus structure.

Posts: 8 | Location: New York | Registered: March 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reactions!

I think we'll certainly want to create an ETL process to fill some database tables. The goal is to store the data in Oracle.
I have some knowledge of ETL, but little of cubes in whatever form. I know it is possible to access (Oracle) cubes with TABLE, but I have no idea if we can use our ETL tool to create and/or populate these Oracle cubes.
It is intended to completely remove the Cognos product from the company. So we'll have to have some way to replace the cubes.
So now I'm wondering if we can make do without cubes and go for the traditional approach of aggregation tabels and such. What worries me here is the size of the data - approx 12 GB!

GamP

in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

Can you share with us the reasons for this move. We could use them with potential customers...

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Danny,

This decision was taken about a year and a half ago.
The custoner chose WebFOCUS over Cognos because of flexibility, ease of use and performance, and also because they wanted just one tool to do their reports in. And since WebFocus was the tool of choice, Cognos will be eliminated in due course.

GamP

in Focus since 1988

Expert
posted Hide Post
Nice Thread

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post