Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     unable to communicate with Reportcaster server

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
unable to communicate with Reportcaster server
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Hi,

I am trying to get in to the Reportcaster server but after I typed my userid/pwd it throws me the error
"Unable to communicate with the Reportcaster server"

Reportcaster server is running.

I have checked the logs of reportcaster and tomcat, I didn't find anything wrong.

What may be the cause for this issue?

Thanks

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Posts: 780 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 09, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Likely a configuration issue somewhere. Try the testconfig batch file/script in the Reportcaster's bin sirectory and see if everything looks normal. Sometimes is looks like RC is running, but is having trouble connecting to the repository so it isn't really running properly. Couple of other ideas if that's not the problem.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I ran that and got test successful.

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Expert
posted Hide Post
Kamesh,

Is this a new installation? I had this same problem during an upgrade about a year and a half ago. The problem went on for weeks and weeks and delayed the upgrade.

The problem turned out to be that the JDBC drivers for the Report Caster repository were not installed into the web application server. That is the first place that I would look.

Once that was done, my problem went away and my IBM guy was very embarrassed.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest doing a search on your error so I checked it out first. The first reference is a post from you from 5 months ago reporting the very same error. Probably the same problem which can be fixed the same way. The second post had some information and pointed to some other resources you might try. Techsupport is also there to help with this kind of issue.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I have installed the JDBC drivers..

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Make sure that your java jvm is in the operating system path.... the jvm.dll needs to be found.

WebFocus 7x, 8x, Win / Linux, any output format

Posts: 70 | Location: reading, pa | Registered: April 07, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Darin, even I looked for the old post and got the same as you got. I tried the solution of my earlier post and no luck.

My main doubt here is the Tomcat ISAPI redirector. I checked the log of that and it shows Filter not found and the following error

[Tue Jan 20 09:31:35 2009] [info] ajp_done::jk_ajp_common.c (1947): could not find empty cache slot from 1 for worker ajp13w. Rise worker cachesize

I checked the website properties in IIS and it's status set to HIGH and my reports and MRE are working fine.

Did anybody know what the above error mean? I tried to google it but didn't find proper explanation.

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Master
posted Hide Post
This is the perfect example for the worst silly mistake.

I had the forward slash (\) instead of backward slash (/) in catalina.properties file when registering the sqlserver driver.

Thanks all for your suggestions and thoughts,

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Expert
posted Hide Post
Why do people make the mistake of calling "/" a "backward slash" and "\" a "forward slash"?

"/" is a "slash". "\" is a "backslash".

Wiki - Slash

Wiki - Backslash

backslash/slash

Cheers thanks a lot.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post