Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Problem with a PDF from a mainframe FOCEXEC

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Problem with a PDF from a mainframe FOCEXEC
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
We are running FOCUS 7.1.1 on a mainframe. I just made a PDF file of a report and transferred the same to a PC. (I transfered the file in text format.) When I try to open the PDF on the PC, I get the following message:

"There was an error opening this document. There was an error reading this document(110)"

I am using Adobe Release 8. I checked on Google, and the indication is that I'm trying to open the PDF with an older release of Acrobat, but I don't think that is the case.

Does anyone have an idea as to what caused the error I'm receiving?

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
ftp in binary mode.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, Ginny, and thanks for replying. However, I got another error:

"Acrobat could not open 'xxxxxx.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because or because the file has been damaged. "

I'll try to work this out, but if you have any thoughts, please send them my way.

Thanks again - that was a fast response!

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

<JG>
posted
quote:
There was an error reading this document(110)"

The basic problem appears to be one of language, mainframe speaks ebcdic
PC speaks ascii.

You either need to translate from ebcdic to ascii prior to transfer or use an
ftp program that does it for you automatically.

If you have it available then ultra edit, or another similar editor could convert the file
to check if this is the problem.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your suggestion, JG; I think it might lie in the possibility that we don't have the web interface installed here, which I am checking out right now with our administrators. Our systems are quite old and clunky - I'm thinking that when things were installed way back when, some of the interfaces weren't installed. Having been with this organization for only 18 months, I'm having an uphill battle finding out things, if you know what I mean.

In any case, I appreciate your thoughts!

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO