Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] how to print subhead in subsequent page before any detail line

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] how to print subhead in subsequent page before any detail line
 Login/Join

posted
Here is the code:

TABLE FILE PR01
PRINT
FIRST_TIMEFRAME_COUNT/I6 AS ''
SECOND_TIMEFRAME_COUNT/I6 AS ''
THIRD_TIMEFRAME_COUNT/I6 AS ''
BY TOTAL COMPUTE CDUMMY/I11=CDUMMY+1; NOPRINT
BY PROCESS_DATE AS ''
ON CDUMMY SUBHEAD
"Process Date/Time<+0>Volume Outstanding"
" <+0>00:00:00 - 07:59:59<+0>08:00:00 - 16:00:00<+0>16:00:01 - 23:59:59"
WHEN TABPAGENO NE LAST TABPAGENO;
ON TABLE SUBTOTAL AS 'Total: '

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 766
Windows XP
Output: HTML, PDF or Excel, per users' preference

Expert
posted Hide Post
So you want the SUBHEAD to appear on the previous page, effectively a separate page for each SUBHEAD ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually I used the subhead as the column heading. There are 2 lines of the column heading. 1 line is for column group name for 3 columns. Here are the codes:

ON CDUMMY SUBHEAD

WebFOCUS 766
Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Agnes,

Suggestion from our technicals:
Maybe you can use the HEADING for the titles which are now in the SUBHEAD. Then use "ON CDUMMY SUBHEAD PAGE-BREAK".

Following is an simple example without styling to resolve this issue:

TABLE FILE CAR 
SUM SALES AS ' '
BY COUNTRY AS ' '
ON COUNTRY SUBHEAD PAGE-BREAK    
HEADING 
"COUNTRY  SALES"
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I did try to put page-break. it is still not working.

IBI should fix this problem in the next release.

WebFOCUS 766
Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Agnes,

Please post your latest code - I can't understand why you cannot produce what you're expecting. Please explain "how to print subhead in subsequent page before any detail line" in more detail. What is it you'd like to do?

Try using an IBI-supplied database to work out an example we all can run:

TABLE FILE EMPLOYEE
PRINT 
EMP_ID AS ''
LAST_NAME AS ''
FIRST_NAME AS ''
BY DEPARTMENT NOPRINT
ON DEPARTMENT PAGE-BREAK
ON DEPARTMENT SUBHEAD 
"DEPARTMENT: <DEPARTMENT "
"EMPLOYEE ID <+0> LAST NAME <+0> FIRST NAME"

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF

ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, SQUEEZE=ON,
FONT='ARIAL', SIZE=8, $
TYPE=SUBHEAD, HEADALIGN=BODY, STYLE=BOLD, $
ENDSTYLE
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Agnes

What you are trying to achieve, I believe, is to have subhead text appear on each new page in a report.

If that is the case then SUBHEAD is not the best approach. SUBHEAD works on BY fields, and these do not obey page breaks which are created based on internal calculations as to where a page break should occur. You have to separate out sorting with BY and when a report will page break. Using TABPAGENO is also not a good idea. When is the page number ACTUALLY calculated? Not always where you might expect. In fact it doesn't know when a page break will happen, it is known only after the event, which is too late for what you are trying to achieve. I think what you are getting is one detail line followed by the SUBHEAD, which is because the first detail line of the page has a different TABPAGENO and the SUBHEAD then comes in after the detail, as before the detail line the TABPAGENO hasn't changed. SUBHEAD and HEADING do work differently, are activated differently.

Instead of working against the TABLE request, work with it. It is not a bug that needs to be fixed, it is the way it works.

Use HEADING. HEADING appears at the top of each and every new page. That is what it does.

If you want to page break at different times in the report you can do so, the HEADING will appear at the top of each page irrespective of your explicit page breaks.

I would suggest:
TABLE FILE PR01
PRINT
FIRST_TIMEFRAME_COUNT/I6 AS ''
SECOND_TIMEFRAME_COUNT/I6 AS ''
THIRD_TIMEFRAME_COUNT/I6 AS ''
BY TOTAL COMPUTE CDUMMY/I11=CDUMMY+1; NOPRINT
BY PROCESS_DATE AS ''
HEADING

If this is not giving you a HEADING on each page, irrespective of explicit or implicit page breaks, please try and explain the result in much more detail or what you are trying to achieve in much more detail.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It did show the column titles on heading of each page. I need to add extra style editing to make sure the title labels on the right column.

The multi-lines for column title is very common for reporting. IBI should resolve this issue in the next release. This makes us easier to market WebFOCUS as the corporate reporting tool.

WebFOCUS 766
Windows XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Agnes

You are now saying that the column names you placed in the HEADING / SUBHEAD are not aligning to an appropriate field. Is this correct?

If so then you are doing something wrong. As you say this is a common requirement, and one which I have used a lot. There is no bug, there is no issue, it works perfectly when the correct syntax is used in the STYLESHEET. Please stop asking for an issue to be resolved when it does not exist.

Please heed the advice given to you, use HEADING, that is what it is for. Using SUBHEAD can work but will not necessarily produce a SUBHEAD at the start of each page. Check out the documentation for the syntax to align heading elements to columns.

However, based on your code, what you are trying to achieve is very simple. This can be achieved with the column titles themselves.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Agnes,

Did others' suggestions help?

If you would like to submit your request to fix the issue, please contact Information Builders' Customer Support Services and open a case regarding this. You may either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post