Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Report Painter not finding DEFINE fields

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Report Painter not finding DEFINE fields
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
When I try to open a report in Report Painter that was not created in Report Painter, the DEFINEd fields used in the report are not recognized. There is a DEFINE block ahead of the Report block. I get the 'JOINS or DEFINES might be missing' message. I need those DEFINE fields in the report. Any suggestions on how to get it to find those already created fields?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick Man,

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Rick Man,
If you right click the report and click Edit in Text Editor, then click Physical view, and open the report in report painter form the physical view do you recieve the same error message??

WebFOCUS 7.6.9

Reporting client Windows 2003 Service pack 2 using IIS and TomCat 5.5
Reporting Server OS/400 V5R4M0
Outputs: HTML, Excel, PDF, CSV, and Flat Files

Posts: 130 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes. Going to Physical View from the text editor is the same as going in to 'Edit in Developer Studio Tool'. Then I select the Report block, right click, select open, and bingo the popup saying it can not find the DEFINE fields comes up. And then the 'Proceed with Report Painter' yes or no and pressing yes the report painter comes up but the DEFINE fields are not available.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Do you have other reports where the DEFINE fields are available via report painter. Most of my reports have security in them and I can not open them in report painter as a result. Can you test this with the CAR file and see if it behaves the same way?

WebFOCUS 7.6.9

Reporting client Windows 2003 Service pack 2 using IIS and TomCat 5.5
Reporting Server OS/400 V5R4M0
Outputs: HTML, Excel, PDF, CSV, and Flat Files

Posts: 130 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Ah Hah! I created a CAR file and then an Oracle table test, and they both worked. Then I had a brainstorm. I looked at the report and it was doing a TABLE FILE SQLOUT with a ON TABLE HOLD AS SQLOUT. I changed that to SOUT and all is well. The SQLOUT MFD must have confused it.
Thanks

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Good catch!

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.