Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [TECHNIQUE] Multiselect - Comma separated list in &AMP_TEXT (textvarname attribute)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[TECHNIQUE] Multiselect - Comma separated list in &AMP_TEXT (textvarname attribute)
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi all,

don't know if this is already an old hat but I could not find anything in the forum so I am posting what I have learned from a colleague a few days ago.

If you have an (html) multiselect &VAR variable and you need to print the selected items in your report (e.g. in HEADING) - you do not need to print the not-so-nice

'ITEM1' OR 'ITEM2'

etc. list or convert it using STRREP etc.
WebFOCUS already offers a comma separated list of items (no OR, and no quote) in an optional, separate &VAR variable submitted to your report.

The name of this alternative &VAR var is determined in the XML structure of WFs HTML: look at the node + the attrib: textvarname. You may define the alternative &VAR name here - automatically set to &VAR_TEXT in newer WF composer versions.

In your fex &VAR_TEXT then contains:

ITEM1, ITEM2

which is much better suited for displaying in a report.

Cheers Linne

WebFOCUS 7.7.03

Master
posted Hide Post
Eeker

What ?!?!

I've tested it, and indeed it works.
I'm totally surprised. Must be something IBI used to use behind the scenes...

HOW THE H3LL did you find out?

By the way,
after that... don't edit with the GUI.
I've tried. Hoping to find some option to make this mappen within the GUI, but no...

On one occassion the html-input was connected to BOTH parameters. I though maybe some property of the connector-line ( arrow ) made it possible.

Does anybody know what that property-window is used for anyway? ( preview value ?!? )

THANKS Linnex. Good One

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I don't think &var_text is automatically created. I do know that if the 'send display value' option is checked via the GUI you can use the _TEXT variable. The _TEXT variable is also used when you have a code value behind the scenes and want to display the description for that code.

This way you don't have to worry about never touching the GUI etc.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dave, you can indeed do it in the GUI Smiler. Just check "Send display value" in "Properties and Settings" window for the selected control that will be sent as a parameter.

That will cause both &VAR and &VAR_TEXT to be sent as URL parameters when submitting the form.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures. I don't know why they don't have this option on by default or why it is an option in the first place. I don't see why it would hurt to always pass the var and the var_text value.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
@njsden

You've got to be kidding...!

...I always thought that meant "Send the 'Display field' instead of the 'Value field'.
Similar to "Sort by Value/Display" option.

This is what "Developer Studio Online Help" says:
quote:

Send display value

Select this option to send the display value, rather than the actual data, to the parameter.
For more information, see How to Send the Display Value for Static and Dynamic Controls.

Shouldn't that be: "....to send the display value AND the actual data, to the parameter and a special parameter with suffix _TEXT..." Mad

...the "For more information see..." shows in an example how it's done, including the _TEXT parameter part. Sadly this is thus only 'documented' in an example (or rather : how-to step-by-step example ) part of the documentation. I'd really like stuff like this to be mentioned in the 'core' of the documentation. Examples are 'extra', not the main documentation.

Well, I did learn something today.
Greets, Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I agree. The documentation about that feature is very misleading.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Yea, it actually does both.

The _TEXT value is formatted value1, value2,

But it also becomes the display value (if you specify a different display):

VAR='201350' OR '201390'
VAR_TEXT='Summer 2013, Fall 2013'
Or something similar.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
@J,

that's even better...
usually just an 'ID' is not what the user wants.

Thanks all.