Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED by IB] Chaining 7.6.9

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED by IB] Chaining 7.6.9
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Hai all..

I am trying to chain 2 comboboxes where 1st one is static with 3 values.

For 2nd combobox, I wrote a fex which takes value from 1st comboxbox and executes separate report to populate 2nd combobox.
but this is not happening.

My fex looks like this..

-DEFAULT &COMBO1 = ' ';

-IF &COMBO1 EQ 'OPT1' GOTO OP1 ELSE
-IF &COMBO1 EQ 'OPT2' GOTO OP2 ELSE GOTO OP3;

-OP1

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
COUNTRY
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END
-GOTO OP3

-OP2

TABLE FILE EMP
SUM
EMPNO
BY EMPNO
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END
-GOTO OP3

-OP3
-EXIT

Let me know of an issues.
thanks..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

HTML,PDF,EXL2K, Active, All

Posts: 484 | Registered: February 03, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that &COMBO1 is successfully passed to the fex? If it isn't, it's defaulted to blank and you exit the fex.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. I used the same technique in running a report based on static value from combobox and it worked with same GOTO technique. But this fails when updating 2nd combobox using chaining..?!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's because no XML is returned if the third value of select list 1 is selected.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I removed the third option. Just have 2 options. Even then it says error..I dont understand why..

Guru
posted Hide Post
With 769, you should do this with conditional chaining. On the Pamameters Canvas, draw a link between combobox1 and combobox2. Combobox one has the static values list. For combobox2, you should click the link between the 2 comboboxes, and in the Properties and Settings dialog that displays, create the default condition for populating combobox2. Then create a new condition for how you want the next static value to affect the population of combobox2. Make sure the Action is "Populate w/a Data" since you will already have the Default condition with its data.

Hope this helps.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Master
posted Hide Post
Hai David,

Firstly thanks for your input.

But I dont see any option Populate w/a Data. If possible can you be more clear.

Thanks

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how to direct the message output that is generated when populating the second control in the chain, to a place where the developer can see it?

I am speakinbg of the focexec code that is submitted to the server in order to generate the HOLD xml. For a submission that returns a report, the messages are imbedded (as comments) in the returned HTML. But the refresh code has no target frame (because its purpose is not to produce a formatted report).

It would be nifty to be able to direct that output to a (tiny) frame, from which one could transfer it to a plain text file (CTL-A, CTL-C; CTL-P) to see what happened. But I have not seen any way to accomplish that.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Enigma006,

When you click the link between the 2 controls, you should get an elongated window named "Properties and Settings". At the top of that window, there is an area called "Action". It defaults to "Populate,Show". The dropdown allows selection of several other actions, one of which is "Populate w/a,show".

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com