Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Caching a report for 60 minutes (using Resource layout painter & MRE) ?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Caching a report for 60 minutes (using Resource layout painter & MRE) ?
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a report (fex/htm combination) created using resource layout painter. It has 12 drop-down boxes that are populated from database. Is there a way to cache this report in explorer/elsewhere for about 60 minutes so that it doesn't keep reloading everytime the user clicks back button on browser ? It is taking some 20 seconds to load thus annoying users. I tried putting HTTP-EQUIV/EXPIRES in the htm file directly but it doesn't seem to work (in explorer).

WebFOCUS 5.3.3 MRE - Solaris - Sun Web Server - Weblogic

posted Hide Post
Hi Govind
I would like to suggest as alternative solution, the creation of another database for exclusive use of the Droplist
Please follow the instruction bellow:
-* code
SET MORE=OFF
SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
SET ASNAMES = ON
APP HOLD TEST
TABLE FILE MASTER
BY FILTER1
BY FILTER2
BY FILTER3
BY FILTER4
BY FILTER5
BY FILTER6
BY FILTER7
BY FILTER8
BY FILTER9
BY FILTER10
BY FILTER11
BY FILTER12
ON TABLE HOLD AS DROPDOWN1 FORMAT FOCUS
END
In the resource layout painter change MASTER of the drop-down for new Master "DROPDOWN1"
This Method increase your performace for populated drop-down.
Regards,
Ricardo Rosário

Web Focus Developer

WF 5.xLinux/,winxp,win2003
WF 7.x Linux,winxp,win2008
WF 8.x , win

Posts: 12 | Location: Brazil | Registered: December 09, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ricardo, what does 'SET MORE = OFF' do?
Would you be kind enough to put your version and platform information into your signature? many thanks.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
'SET MORE = OFF'
Controls scrolling. ON cases display to pause when screen is full; OFF allows continuous scrolling.
For Execution of fex in the Interactive Agent Tool.

Web Focus Developer

WF 8.x , win

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Ricardo, it took some time but after few runs, I think I am getting a hang of your idea. You are saying that in main fex file (that I created by using RL Painter) - I could execute such a proc as you showed, hold the mas/foc files in unique directory (unique so that we dont mess up concurrent runs) and then use these mas/foc as datasource to get the parameters from (thus skipping the steps of xml generation/parsing and having to pass down the xml files to the browser) .... Looks good to me.

Do you have a suggestion on how to create unique dir names ? I remember there was some way to get userid.

And by the way, is there a way to use the same proc for all drop-down-lists OR do I need to create one proc per drop-down-list ? My parameters are all independent... they have no chaining-relationships among them.

Thx,

posted Hide Post
quote:
And by the way, is there a way to use the same proc for all drop-down-lists OR do I need to create one proc per drop-down-list ? My parameters are all independent... they have no chaining-relationships among them.

One fex with 12 hold and Schedule this fex using Report Caster(if necessary).

quote:
Do you have a suggestion on how to create unique dir names ? I remember there was some way to get userid.

Dir names ?
explain better please

Web Focus Developer

WF 8.x , win

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of generating mas/foc files with unique names in some temp dir (and make sure that there are no concurrent overwrites). OTOH, I think I will just use the reportcaster or some script that runs at scheduled times.

Thx,

posted Hide Post
Hi Govind

Use server date for generating mas/foc files with unique names.
Please follow the instruction bellow:
-* code
-SET &NAMESFOC1= EDIT(&DATE,'99$$$$$$')||EDIT(&DATE,'$$$99$$$$')||EDIT(&DATE,'$$$$$$99');
-SET &NAMESFOC2= EDIT(&TOD,'99$$$$$$')||EDIT(&TOD,'$$$99$$$$')||EDIT(&TOD,'$$$$$$99');
-SET &NAMESFOC = '&NAMESFOC1.EVAL'||'&NAMESFOC2.EVAL';
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
DEALER_COST
RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE HOLD AS &NAMESFOC FORMAT FOCUS
END

-*result

-SET &NAMESFOC1= EDIT(01/18/06,'99$$$$$$')||EDIT(01/18/06,'$$$99$$$$')||EDIT(01/18/06,'$$$$$$99');
-SET &NAMESFOC2= EDIT(08.54.35,'99$$$$$$')||EDIT(08.54.35,'$$$99$$$$')||EDIT(08.54.35,'$$$$$$99');
-SET &NAMESFOC = '011806'||'085435';
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
DEALER_COST
RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE HOLD AS 011806085435 FORMAT FOCUS
END
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 18 LINES= 18

Web Focus Developer

WF 8.x , win

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I think I should have titled my problem as 'How to speed up loading of a form containing lot of controls with dynamic parameters/values'.

Finally I found an example for speeding up forms that have lot of controls parameters populated in it. It turned out to be very simple. Using the following technique my form now runs in 2 seconds as opposed to 16 seconds it used to do (done in resource layout painter). Ofcourse I did not store the intermediate values in the file as shown in example. I just ran a 'hold' on them and used them in my htm file.

FILEDEF DYNAMLST DISK C:\IBI\APPS\GGDEMO\DYNAMLST.TXT
DEFINE FILE SHORTOPTCOUNTRY/A40 = '<option>'|COUNTRY;
END
TABLE FILE SHORT
SUM OPTCOUNTRY
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT ALPHA AS DYNAMLST
END
-RUN
-HTMLFORM DYNAMIC2
-RUN

<HTML>
<TITLE> DYNAMIC DROP-DOWN LIST REPORT</TITLE>
<H4> PROJECTED RETURN BY COUNTRY </H4>
<FORM ACTION="/cgi-bin/ibi_cgi/ibiweb.exe" METHOD="GET">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="IBIF_ex" VALUE="MULRPT">
<SELECT NAME="COUNTRY" SIZE="3" MULTIPLE>
<!--WEBFOCUS TABLE DYNAMLST>
</SELECT>
<BR><BR>
<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="RUN REPORT!">
</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

It can be referred at http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde...evapps/codingui7.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,