Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] MISSIN ON NOT WORKING WITH SUMMARIZE

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] MISSIN ON NOT WORKING WITH SUMMARIZE
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have another issue with MISSING ON. My table output has an ON TABLE SUMMARIZE. When I apply the MISSING ON to some of the COMPUTE fields, the summarize Total for those compute fields displays ***** instead of "-" character. Anyway to work in MISSING ON with summarize totals?

Thanks,

Joe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOE,

WebFocus 7.7.02 WinXP

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
So basically if the entire column just happens to have the MISSING ON character, the total of that column is ******. How do I replace the total with the MISSING ON character?

WebFocus 7.7.02 WinXP

Master
posted Hide Post
Joe,

First:
****** usually means the result of ( in this case ) the summarized compute doesn't fit the format.

e.g. if the sum is 100000 and the format is D2 it doesn't fit.

Second:
Remember "summarize" works on the totals of the columns used in the compute. If some valid value is in those totals the COMPUTE will use that.

MISSING ON only allows the result of the COMPUTE to be 'missing'. But if there's anyway WF can figure out to show a value, it will.

MISSING ON NEEDS ALL DATA is more strict. ALL fields used must be available. If not 'MISSING' is used.

Greets, G'luck,
Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I'm sorry, the MISSING ON is actually the result of a division calculation from two columns on the report..not a total of one column. I misinformed you. The MISSING ON is to prevent the divide by zero error message. If there is a better way to do this than missing on, please advise...thanks

Joe

WebFocus 7.7.02 WinXP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You could test the value of the divisor before performing the division:

COMPUTE XYZ_VALUE/D12.2 = IF (XYZ_DENOMINATOR EQ 0) THEN 0 ELSE (XYZ_NUMERATOR / XYZ_DENOMINATOR);

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Setting %STRICTMATH can be used to return zero when dividing by zero.

SET %STRICTMATH = OLD

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
@JOE

It's okay. I guess all of us have a job that requires to keep asking to find out the real question.

Dan gave you two solutions.
( I prefer and use the first, but I don't never show a '0', rather a 'missing' to prevent misinterpretation. )

Greets,Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your responses. We really dont want to display 0's which may reflect on poor performance. That's why we were looking to replace the error with a - instead of zero.

WebFocus 7.7.02 WinXP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can also suppress (S) display of the zeroes via the format definition for the COMPUTEd/DEFINEd field:

COMPUTE XYZ_VALUE/D12.2S = IF (XYZ_DENOMINATOR EQ 0) THEN 0 ELSE (XYZ_NUMERATOR / XYZ_DENOMINATOR);

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Master
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a 0 is the actuall value.
I prefer:

COMPUTE XYZ/D12.2 MISSING ON = IF ( DENOMINATOR EQ 0 ) THEN MISSING ELSE NUMERATOR / DENOMINATOR;

Greets,
Dave

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. We decided to conditionally format out the *** (which are negative values) with a conditional format to make it the same color as the total line.

WebFocus 7.7.02 WinXP