Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     7.6.4 Dev Studio issues

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
7.6.4 Dev Studio issues
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Is anyone having crashes/issues with 7.6.4 Dev Studio client (not 7.6.4 server)?

We're trying to use 7.6.4 Dev Studio through Citrix and we're finding some problems. Sometimes the cursor will become unresponsive within Text Editor, occasional wfscom "Shell Windows interface is not avilable" (yes, it actually does say 'avilable' and not 'available'!) that we can't seem to replicate, etc.

I think there are some known issues relating to changing the "Use new browser to execute" option or adding a new environment but we're aware of those.

Thanks.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in the answer to this as well. We are also trying to set up 7.6.4 Dev Studio through Citrix today and we are getting the same error "Shell Windows interface is not avilable" when we try to run the .fex.

WF 7.6.4 platform: Windows, databases: Oracle, browser:IE6

Posts: 10 | Registered: September 11, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
i'd have to check with the tech guys here to see what we are running through but am finding that i get unresponsive cursor quite frequently, and also (which may be unrelated) it seems to take ages (up to 5 secs) to create a blank fex. i do have the run in new browser option checked.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
im not running through citrix it turns out- so aren't sure its a citrix issue.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Master
posted Hide Post
Something that might be relevant

I have raised a case on this and IBI are investigating.

It seems that 764 ds is a bit of a wimp in that if any other process asks it hands over all its resources under Windows. Whether this is causing the go slow in Citrix, I cant tell you.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not I actually feel somewhat relieved in that it's a product issue and not specific to our environment.

Guess we'll need to start hammering them on getting a fix...

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickW:

Guess we'll need to start hammering them on getting a fix...

Well the initial (and im guessing official?) response to HAMMO1J's post wasn't too reassuring. But i guess we can wait and see what the outcome is of the case that has been raised.

I daren't ask about the other niggles i have with the text editor. Smiler

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
I meant the inital response to HAMMO1J's thread here, not this thread.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP

<akilayko>
posted
Is there any update regarding the issue with using 7.6.4 Dev Studio through Citrix?

Thanks.

WF Dev Studio 7.6.4, Oracle 9i

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We use Softgrid which is a packaging software and they had a bit of an issue getting it configured right with Java (we recently started using 765). At times, Dev Studio seems to become unresponsive but by minimizing and restoring the application it comes back. It may just be a memory thing since I tend to have a bunch of apps running. A little annoying but very quick fix.

So far everything works well but I haven't had a chance to fully test every part. Haven't had any really bad performance issues. You still do get a crash when you change something in your environment setup but that's not a deal killer for us.

Guru
posted Hide Post
RickW:
We have been testing Developer Studio 7.6.4 with Vista. I am waiting for hotfix 8 (we have had a lot of issues). We are going to want to package with Softgrid, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I would be very interested in some of the difficulties/solutions you have encountered with the SoftGrid packaging.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't touched the Softgrid stuff (that's another area). I think most of the issues we hit were configuration options and registry settings. Our current issue is to get IE to retain the last windows size/positions for each session each time you run a WF program. Some people have dual monitors and some don't and somtimes it was retaining the size/position and sometimes it wasn't which caused problems the next time you logged in on a (in my case) non-dual monitor.

Performance is pretty good and I'm pretty sure we're using the latest version of Softgrid and they did do a recent upgrade to our Citrix servers (I don't know the details though).

7.6.5 is out - you may want to go that route for just the DevStudio piece since in you're in test phase - we're not planning on upgrading our servers although I think we may need to if we want to use the Google Maps add-on.

Vista though - eeeewwww Wink

I just wish I could use a Mac at work though - I do like it better...

posted Hide Post
TSwan,

Have you gotten past the "Shell Windows interface is not available" message?

I'm currently getting the same thing with 7.6.5 as well as 7.6.6

posted Hide Post
We don't have that problem anymore..I'm not sure what steps below fixed it but I got the following information from the Administrator that installed this on our Citrix system. (We are currently running 7.64)

1) Install WfDevStudio761.exe, choose the defaults. Might get an error that shell_infinity.reg was not able to run, click OK. Also might give an error about the Java install error, click OK.

2) After the setup install, run the shell_infinity.reg, if you received that error during the install. (Got this file from webfocus support)

3) Start the DevStudio_4.exe file (hotfix4). Run the defaults and finish. (This puts you at 761 Hotfix 4)

4) Run Webfocus 764 - select update 764

5) run DevStudio_764HF7.exe patch

6) copy certain dlls to c:\ibi\devstudio76\bin

befocus.dll - 292kb

gcconnct.dll - 384kb

gcfldlst.dll - 1032kb

WFSCom.dll - 1972kb

We had to do the upgrade path because of having issues with the Java version the 761 hotfix wanting to install when upgrading. I'm not sure why the DLLs needed to be copied to the new setup, but that's how we go to out latest version on Citrix. If they are running Webfocus in a Citrix environment, then they will need to grant the user's access to the C:\ibi on the server that is running the application.

Hope this helps

WF 7.6.4 platform: Windows, databases: Oracle, browser:IE6

Posts: 10 | Registered: September 11, 2007Report This Post