Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Advantages and Disadv of Business Objects compare to WebFOCUS[Closed]

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Advantages and Disadv of Business Objects compare to WebFOCUS[Closed]
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi All,

Iam working WebFOCUS,and I know strengths and Limitations of WebFOCUS and I would like to know Advantages and Disadv of Business Objects compare to WebFOCUS,since I dont have any idea about Business Objects.

I know in WF we can create BI Dashboard and Grouping Users in MRE giving priviliges to access and Scheduling Reports .WF is a combination of powerfull Built in Tools .And we can make use of SQL editor and Java Script .

Is all the above features are available in BO's ? I want to know exactly features which available and not available in BO's compare to WebFOCUS.

Please everybody join in this Discussion and help me by giving good information.

Thanks in Advance,

Saikumar.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: saikumar,

WebFOCUS 8103 Appstudio, Dev Studio MRE
Client Windows 7, Serveron Unix.
Excel, PDF, HTML,AHTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you're wanting to know the features of Business Object products, maybe you should be posting this on a Business Objects Forum. You'll get a better idea of what the BO users really like about the BO product. Posting here, you're more likely to get info on what WF users did NOT like about BO. That's why they are WebFOCUS users. Not trying to be critical, but realistic.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Saikumar,

Is there a reason why you need this type of information?

If the answer is Yes because the company is looking at changing then you need to talk to
your IBI account manager.

IBI mainatins good 'Competative analysis' documentation of the major competative products, BO, COGNOS, etc.

It's not available to distribute to customers but if you have a situation where IBI could loose business then
I'm sure the account manager will do everything he can to help.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Search for "business objects" at www.ibi.com
Search for "webfocus" at www.businessobjects.com

Read and compare.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi JG,

You totally misunderstand me,Actually Our company are well in Product development and Application Development from IBI last couple of years and also we are responsible for selling IBI Products in our Country.

Actually we met one Client, they were using BO's for BI Reporting they are looking for Webbased Reports like Our WebFOCUS.

The Reason why I posted is I need to tell to the Client about the facts of BO's and WebFOCUS. That's it.

Francis, thanks for your Advice.

Thanks,
Saikumar.

Excel, PDF, HTML,AHTML

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Darin,

Your right,I know all the professionals available here are well and Experts in WebFOCUS.

I guessed if anybody knows about both BO's or previouly worked on BO's may be then I would get expect help from them.

Thanks,
Saikumar.

Excel, PDF, HTML,AHTML

Guru
posted Hide Post
this is what ive glened from previous posts on the subject

BO has no DM capability (ie code to write code)
limited OLAP (but in comparison to WF- i don';t how limited)
no stylesheet calls- formatting has to be done each time...
no caster
uses cube structures for data (not sure if thats an + or a - in comparison to WF)

i wouldn't take ANY of this as gospel- but it has been discussed before so hopefully with a bit of searching you can get the info you need and be confident in it...

i looked at this to get an idea of the impact a change of BI tool would have on our non-reporting WebFOCUS functions so its best to always keep in mind the needs of the company and not believe the hype about any one tool...

so search the forum you'll find what i did but more detailed....

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Saikumar If your'e the agent for your country then you should be contacting
Wendy Hudson in the International division who will supply you with all the
Information that you need.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's correct. If you're responsible for selling this stuff, IBI has oddles of information internally on the competition. You should be working that throught your sales channels as JG suggests. They're going to give you a lot better information than you'll probably get from anyone on the forum.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Sorry the surname is Hutsen not Hudsen

Report This Post